How would you print skateboard graphics?

eline.grt

A client approached us asking if we could print his graphics for skateboards.
What are some suggestions?
Our first thought was to print on Floor Guard vinyl, but I'm not sure how that would hold up if applied to wood.
We will soon purchase the OCE Arizona flatbed printer, but I don't think it can print on a curved surface like a skateboard.

Any suggestions, outside of screen printing?

Thanks

For this application, screen printing is really the only viable solution. Typically, skateboards are printed on during the manufacturing stage between the lamination and final finishing stage. The screen printed image is then covered with multiple layers of clear coat or polyurethane to protect it. Since the bottom of the board is just as important as the grip tape side for the purposes of doing tricks, any type of adhesive material wont hold up to the abuse of a board slide on an unpainted curb.
There may be an option to do 'one offs' or prototypes on a UV flatbed, but this wouldn't make economical sense for a production run of any size. Plus, I'm sure a UV printed image still won't last as long as a screen printed one without the clear coat afterward.

Just my .02, but I was a skateboarder for 10+ years before making wide format printing my profession.

hi,
about the curved material is too large,if used the flatbed printer ,the result is not good, if the curved are not over the 5mm all is ok, all the flatbed printer,can print any material for any picutre but the curved is not over the 5mm.more informations you can check this website:www.kingot.net.maybe can help you to solve this problem.
wenkeey

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back