hp z3100/z3200 printer and hp 70/hp 73 red ink

FlightDeck

Hello,

I have just received a new hp z3100ps GP printer. This printer calls for hp 70 red ink. I note that the printer's successor, the new z3200, now uses an hp 73 "chromatic red" ink and print head, with all other inks / print heads still hp 70.

Has anyone here tried (or heard of) successfully replacing the hp 70 red ink and printhead in a z3100 with the hp 73?

I gave a quick query to hp tech support on it, and got the amusing one-line response "That is going to damage the ink tubes system". Before pressing hp for a better explanation, I thought I'd check here with other users.

I can see there being two layers to this. First, there is the physical compatibility, as hp alluded to above (which I have a tough time buying). Then there is the functional compatibility---has the firmware of the newer z3200 somehow been "tuned" to the new hp 73 red ink, such that the older z3100 would not be able to calibrate and profile correctly and/or not deliver the expanded red gamut benefit?

Thanks and regards,
KDJ

Okey dokey, I guess based on the lack of response, the verdict here is nobody's considered it. Ah well, it was worth a thought.

Thanks,
KDJ

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back