HP Z6100 faint lines (banding)

jonkovach

Every once in a while, I will start to see faint lines building up and getting worse. They are going left/right across the paper, in the same direction that the carriage runs... so I can only assume that it's a printhead problem.

I clean them, run an alignment, and it fixes it temporarily, but they come back after some time of printing passes by.

I have done advanced printhead diagnostic prints... but they all look good. All are in warranty, and I really don't see anything wrong with them.

Any ideas on how to eliminate this?????

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Did you try to print it in slower print speed. What you can do when you're printing direct from the printer. Just try to put the printquality on: best. (at the submit job page.)
Because sometimes you get lines if you are printing too fast for the media.

gr,

sem

Yes, I am on the highest quality mode, and I'm running 10 passes through Onyx. It's not a print quality problem, I don't think. I think it's something funny going on with my printheads.
Jon

I understand but you wrote you changed your printheads for new ones so the change is really small. They are not working correct.
Can you explain what type line do you have. Are the in a straight lines from upper left to right or just really small stipes at the same point. Are the line having some specific color.

Maybe you send me a picture of the line issue?

Ah, I understand...

The lines almost look like it's a media feed issue, but I don't know how it could be because it will print fine for some period of time, and then all of a sudden the lines appear.

They run left and right across the printer, in the direction of the printhead. They look more like gaps in the color... like it's feeding too much... this morning it's showing up on another Z6100 and it looks more like darker lines in the color... like it's not feeding enough.

I can send a picture if you need - let me know if this description doesn't help, though.

Jon

I've seen this when I'm not printing in bidirectional mode. When it only makes one pass, it tends to leave white "pinstripes". Really faint, but noticeable. Choosing bidirectional gets rid of it for me. You might need to use a different media setting on the printer, as your choice of media can limit your options going forward. I use sihl imola with the "photo semi-gloss/satin" media on the Z6100.

This might not be related to your problem, but from what you're describing, this is what I've experienced in a similar situation.

I'd rather prefer to invite a serviceman or if you know all service procedures and adjustments ...
There is smthg wrong with the Paper feeding system IMHO

I have some other thing you can do. Maybe you have done it. In the printer you have a menu quality (something ) In this menu you have a submenu "clean cartridges" this option takes 5 min and maybe this is the solution. I think this is very easy solution to your problem but it only takes 5 min so its worth trying.

Let me know what happend...

I don't know of any option to clean the cartridges - do you know where it is in the menus? The only option I've ever seen is to clean the printheads.

I think I almost have the same problem. Printing from Onyx Pshop 7.1.0.40 to a hp z6100. Once in a while the carriage begins slowing down and the color begins to fade away.
Below a scanned image of the result.. :(

z76000.jpg

the red arrow is the way the carriage moves

Problem solved.... it seems that you need to exchange the cleaning cartridge around 80%-85%. They should fix that in a firmware update. (was planning to replace it when it's around 95%)

When you say cleaning cartridge, you are referring to the maintenance cartridge, on the right side of the printer (formerly the printhead cleaners), right? So you replace that at 80-85% and the problem totally went away?

When you say cleaning cartridge, you are referring to the maintenance cartridge, on the right side of the printer (formerly the printhead cleaners), right? So you replace that at 80-85% and the problem totally went away?

Just saw this morning that our HP printer is still doing it albeit lesser with time. I'm now going to replace the ink absorber on the left side too (still at 0%...). I must say that this is a new machine 2 weeks old. As for the maintenance cartridge some 'pools' where practically overflowing with ink at 80%...

It only happens when te printer starts slowing down in the middle of a big job. He then moves to the maintenance cartridge en prints a new line before moving to the ink absorber and then the carriage gradually returns to normal speed.

Yeah, these levels that the printer reports are so off base it's not even funny. My ink absorber on the left side was at 1 or 2 percent full, and there was so much ink on it that it was actually piling up. I couldn't believe it. Same goes for the maintenance cartridge on the right. I'm running a couple tests today to see how this new theory proves out.

As far as the carriage speed - I have never noticed any correlation between the banding I am seeing and the carriage speed. One other thing I have done is increase the humidity in the room to around 40%. It's cold and dry outside, and I think that may be affecting some things.

This is my craddle of filth, you can see the pools pratically overflowing

rimg0045.jpg

and the pad

rimg0043.jpg

hope HP watches this forum... :)

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back