HP Z6100 Size issue

M&M Displays

We have been having a size issue with our 6100, file boarder is 36 x 72 inches. However when its printed it measures 36 x 72.5ish. The EFI rip is telling my the file is 36 x 72, the preview look correct, but when printed it not. Anyone every have the same issue?

Thanks

Last edited:
A little more info...............The printer is a non PS. I've tried both the EFI and Colorburst RIP with the same result. Here is the kicker, HP will not cover and 3rd party software issue. I don't think its a software issue at all. They want to print directly from my Mac, I've explained to them I can't really do that because its a non PS printer. I can see the printer from the mac and the file gets there but the printer will error out. Any Idea's?????

is that the only size not correct. or any size 50" or bigger.

I do not know the printer but is there a step calibration. sonds like the step is a little large making the printer advance enough to oversize but not enough to show. Try reducing print by 50 or 75 percent and see ( at 50 pecent ) size would be 1/4 inch is too large.

also the rip may be adding , bleed, and or a title ,crop marks, or cut lines, just guessing

is that the only size not correct. or any size 50" or bigger.

I do not know the printer but is there a step calibration. sonds like the step is a little large making the printer advance enough to oversize but not enough to show. Try reducing print by 50 or 75 percent and see ( at 50 pecent ) size would be 1/4 inch is too large.

also the rip may be adding , bleed, and or a title ,crop marks, or cut lines, just guessing

Thanks
No bleeds, titles or crop marks added. It seem's to happen with anything longer than 60 inches. The width is fine (60 inches). My first though was the step cal....... Where the heck in the menu is it???

On your HP's printer menu, set "Extended Margins". This should resolve the inconsistent print length.

for that matter are margins set ?

also is the media you are using standard , that is , is it in the media library , for thinkness weight etc,When printing with non-HP media on the HP z6100 printer, the printed job length may be shorter or longer than expected. This can occur when the media type selected for the media profile used in Onyx is not compatible with the physical characteristics of the media. Media types are based on known HP medias and they control settings on the printer such as media feed rate and roller pressure.

In ONYX you can view the media type selected for a media profile by going to Configure Printer, Media tab, selecting the media, and clicking Options. To change the Media Type, click on the drop down menu and select another available HP media type from the list.

When you change the Media Type in ONYX, make sure to change the media name selected on the printer as well. Both names must match when printing to the HP z6100 printer.

was from another manual but it may apply

still waiting for the manual

From what I see in the service manual it looks like a media choice is not correct, Have you successfully printed 60" and larger with that material and media choice ?

Thanks for the info Cliff!!!

We are using standard HP media and it is set correct, margins are also set for extended. We never really printed anything longer on the 6100 before. We are using the EFI rip, same rip that drives our other printer (HP5500) We never had an issue with that printing over 100 inches long. Too bad its gone lol.

Thanks for the help

Yeah we all have our favorite work horse printer that just took everything.
If it would be short I would have said slipping but you are running long. And you said before that the rip file is the correct length ? almost like there is addition tension being applied by say a take up motor, I don't recall what material you are using only HP. I suppose all material ( hp are doing this ? ) Do you use a take up or just drop on the floor ?
I have the service manual but it only say about non Hp material,... mostly because the Hp material has presets in the printer and as long as those are not change everything is suppose to be fine. SO what do you do know , rip silghtly smaller on the length or trim the excess ? I have seen on Vuteks and GAndi/agfa;s when the step is too long print may be slightly longer ( I service all kinds ) most of the time you will not even see it in the print quality. I would run the service calibrations , paper advance which starts off with verifing that you have the latest firmware, ( which could be the problem ) .Service test for paper drive also.

you could send a pm if you want the manual.

It's more than likely the EFI rip that needs to be adjusted. If you go to the HPz Output Device under the System Manager and click the media tab you will notice an offset value: Current vs. Actual. Change your EFI preferences to mm and print out the linear.ps file in the Sample folder. Measure it and type in the value under the Actual field. This should now print your 72 in file correctly. I am sorry, but am at an airport and not in front of an EFI station so some of my wording my be off.

Thanks Joe,.. although He said he has tried with two different rips in cluding efi and colorburst. Both rips have variable size adjustments.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back