HUV Ink???

kdw75

We are bidding on some products for a local government agency. In the bid packet, which includes envelopes, variable data postcards, and flyers, they say that all of them must be printed with "HUV ink". Can anyone tell me what this means? In the specifications, they do state that offset or digital is acceptable for their printing.

Hybrid UV Ink?

That is all that I could find on the internet with a search, but I can't imagine they would require that on every single piece printed, even envelopes, and personalized variable data pieces. Every single piece specifies the inks as "process HUV inks".

HUV or High Efficiency UV ink technology from Komori requires special lamps and a Komori press. I doubt very much whether the bid package requires that you buy a Komori press for HUV.
It could mean Hybrid but even that could require some investments in rollers, Blankets and your ink people need to have the required knowledge to make such a product. I would at the very least get clarification of what they mean.
Just my opinion good luck

HUV is defined as “High Efficiency UV”, created by
Komori
 HUV is a NEW unique curing system that is extremely
efficient consisting of revolutionary lamp, ink and coating
technology
 HUV is not…
 Traditional UV
 LED
 “Hybrid” UV (blended ink)

That is all that I could find on the internet with a search, but I can't imagine they would require that on every single piece printed, even envelopes, and personalized variable data pieces. Every single piece specifies the inks as "process HUV inks".

It's the government :p

I will contact them for clarification. It is a college, and they have previously awarded it to a local printer who runs Heidelbergs exclusively, so I doubt it is anything exclusive to Komori...either that or the other printer just ignored it.

The HUV is Komori's Trade-name for the ink curing system they provide, but Heidelberg has their own High Efficiency counterpart. I can't believe the government actually gets involved in that much detail, but then again, it is the government

Low Energy
High Efficiency
The RFQ is asking to be as green as possible, make sure you have low water use toilets too.

I have heard of other customers asking for it as well.
3 X the cost of offset inks and sometimes it cures in the can before you open it

Low Energy
High Efficiency
The RFQ is asking to be as green as possible, make sure you have low water use toilets too.

I have heard of other customers asking for it as well.
3 X the cost of offset inks and sometimes it cures in the can before you open it

ROTFL! Now that's real green - more wasted ink.
Put a brick in the toilet bowl! And make sure that if you have a lawn it's a nice dried up brown color.

I am almost certain the other printers aren't following this, but on such a big job it worries me that they could use it as grounds to reject it, though unlikely.

This might be taking it too far, but the bid may have been written with a specific printer in mind. I have experienced this myself with government bids, hopefully it is not the case. But as "D" said, check the source, maybe you can offer the Heidelberg process as an alternative, if that's your capability. Good luck.

HUV or LEUV as heidelberg calls it, has it's advantages. Although ink is pricey but compared to regular UV you need a lot less energy. You can cure with one lamp at the end of the press. It doesn't generate as much heat as conventional UV, you can print on non absorbent substrates etc.... as far as calling it green i am not sure. Check the link below for some good info.

LE UV - IST METZ

Where does Heidelberg manufacture this ink??

Thought so.

Nothing more than a marketing ploy, i.e. S A P H I R A.

Cannot sell enough presses so they offer this as pure novices for profit grabbing.

Suppose it supports their existence, but most surely detracting from the consumable user of it.

My hypothesis, if HUV is coming from Heidey.

D Ink Man

No company is selling enough machines in sheetfed offset... it's a good way to survive i guess(i.e. to sell consumables). Heidelberg doesn't manufacture inks, but recently they acquired a chemicals producing company in belgium called blue print. HUV is Komori's version of low energy UV which uses iron cast lamps instead of mercury...

No company is selling enough machines in sheetfed offset... it's a good way to survive i guess(i.e. to sell consumables). Heidelberg doesn't manufacture inks, but recently they acquired a chemicals producing company in belgium called blue print. HUV is Komori's version of low energy UV which uses iron cast lamps instead of mercury...

Overpriced ink, surely. You can count on that sir.

D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back