IC-304 v2 - c6500 print dialogue

suess

Hello!
I have been reading posts here for a while and finally registered to post. Currently we have a km c6500 and IC-304 with ver. 2 running.. I have several PC's that are able to submit jobs to the Hold Que etc... One PC in particular where nothing has changed is no longer able to print directly from any native application (ie.. indesign what ever) .. as soon as we design the file and then save etc.. and choose "print" and select the appropriate creo printer then we get an error.. which is generally the same every time..

"XXXXX program has encountered a problem and needs to close... we are sorry for the inconvenience."

I have tried recently to uninstall and reinstall the printer to the machine etc.. removed all drivers.. still no luck or reason for this to happen.. We do have a work around to simply go to the RIP and import the job as a PDF. My best guess is a problem with java which I have also reinstalled etc.. seems the creo print dialogue never opens (which uses java)..

if i failed to mention anything i apologize but im a bit lost at this point as what to try to resolve the problem.

I have another pc with the same issue (laptop) so I had thought it might be the issue.. will try here in a moment.. yes all are XP (most updated java - which is probably the issue). we have a mac but im not too concerned with it at the moment.

if the other PC's don't have an issue printing to the print queue, why would you think theres a problem with the Creo? It sounds more like theres something wrong with the spooler service on the problem PC. Have you tried to fix the OS by booting from the Windows XP disk? Theres a repair utility in there.

sorry if i wasn't clear.. none of them are able to print to it..

Just uninstalled java completely.. and tried the release you linked same issue.. i hit file print from any application and chose the creo_store etc.. and it hangs for a bit and then the program errors... may have to go back a bit further to an earlier version 5 release.. (still lost at this point).. what i was trying say before was we had 1 PC that seemed to be working and now it doesn't either.... more recent as to when it started having the same problem.

update..

I tried uninstalling the printer again in the printer cpanel etc.. upon adding the printer (as a network printer) it installed perfectly but when i tried to right click and choose properties I am getting an error.. this maybe the problem.. error is: "Function address 0x7c90fe40 caused a protection fault. (exception code 0xc0000005) Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed." [OK]. and nothing happens when you click ok.

is this the default Creo print queue or a custom made one? Is 'Override ppd parameters' checked off?

its a default one that was on the machine (we have always used) Creo_Store.. just drops the job into storage and doesn't rip or print immediatly.. I looked in the Resource Center where all of the virtual printers are and all say NO to Overide PPD.

Ok, I see now. I didn't know you can expand the properties menu in the print dialog to reveal the Creo interface. We mostly use hot folders but the office workers just select the virtual printer and hit print. One thing you may want to check is your firewall settings. Try printing with the firewalls turned off to test it. I noticed I got a message asking me if I want to allow a creo service (DEX_IC_304V2) when I installed the expanded Creo interface just now.

yeah on my laptop i have the xp firewall disabled etc.. still no luck.. i cant think of what else it could be..

sorry if i wasn't clear.. none of them are able to print to it..

Just uninstalled java completely.. and tried the release you linked same issue.. i hit file print from any application and chose the creo_store etc.. and it hangs for a bit and then the program errors... may have to go back a bit further to an earlier version 5 release.. (still lost at this point).. what i was trying say before was we had 1 PC that seemed to be working and now it doesn't either.... more recent as to when it started having the same problem.

Oh, okay. I misread that the problem was on 1 particular PC. I am not a Creo user, but had resolved past Java issues with our applications by downgrading from Java 6 to Java 5.
Fiery command workstation was one of the applications that did not work well with Java 6 in our environment consisting of Windows Visita PCs.

If all of your PCs are not able to print all of a sudden, the issues might not be with the PCs? Are there any other errors logs generated by the Creo application? Or would it be possible to turn on additional debug or error logs? Just some thoughts.

Have you checked the list of installed patches on the Creo? There are both 32 bit and 64 bit driver patches that should be installed. I've experienced similar issues where one workstation can print to the IC-304 fine, while another would lock up. Installing the correct patch corrected the problem.

yeah on my laptop i have the xp firewall disabled etc.. still no luck.. i cant think of what else it could be..

Did any of these PCs have the previous version loaded?

Creo now has a driver delete utility which will totally remove the drivers and then allow you to add them clean. Look in the task manager and see if both are running.

I can check if both drivers are running, I remember seeing the IC-304V1.exe and IC-304V2 on my laptop running at the same time.. I hope its as simple as that.. I will check a few desktops in the shop and see..

Looks like both are running... i had a util on the web area of the IC-304 to remove drivers .. doesn't look like its getting all of them out.. gotta link to the newer one?

Have you updated the PC's with SP3? Or, even worse, did the Creo install SP3 with auto-update. There have been issues with SP3, I believe Creo has an XP SP3 driver patch that corrects some problems with this update.

Looks like both are running... i had a util on the web area of the IC-304 to remove drivers .. doesn't look like its getting all of them out.. gotta link to the newer one?

The one available on the v2 Server should be the most recent.
There is another full SP release coming for the Creo, in fact it is circulating around here in Toronto.
THAT will have the utility for sure.

Check with KM and see if you can get ahold of it.

EDIT!!!
OK, i was speaking with my Head office and the updates are NOT AVAILABLE!
You may be able to track down the Utility but unlikely. Until all testing has been done to KM's satisfaction the update will NOT be released.
Apologise if my post was a bit misleading and sent some techs down a "dead-end path".

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back