ICC software

madflexo

Can anyone recommend software that will allow me to take the target data from a GMG rip and create an ICC profile from it?

Re: ICC software

Hi flexonaut,

FYI, PerfX Color management Pro™ supports ANY CGATS files (CMYK and characterization data).
You can even create your own.
If you can measure the GMG target, then you can do it!

Hope this help!

Louis Dery
TGLC inc.
www.tglc.com

Hello Flexonaut,
You can likely accomplish this with almost any pro ICC solution. From GMG, open your mx4 and export your measured data. The resulting text file will contain both your index (input values) and your measured Labeez.

If you are using a TC3 or TC4 (or other GMG-specific) target, you will need a CM app such as ProfileMaker, PerfX, or EFI - that can use a set of arbitrary sampling points to build a profile. If you are using a standard target - such as the ECI or IT874, then you can also use MonacoPOFILER.

Whatever app you choose, locate or create a sample text file that you know will work with that app. The rest is basically "Excel-manship". Open the GMG export file in excel (you will need to select a delimiter for the ";" character). Make sure you select open from Excel and do not drag and drop. Otherwise, you won't get the text import wizard.

Once you have that open, open your sample file and check out the differences. It should be immediately apparent what you need to do. Another note, when making a CGATS-style header (if you need to do that), the format is as follows:

Begin_Data_Format
<data column names>
End_Data_Format
Begin_Data
<actual data, includes input and measured values>
End_Data

You may see a lot of extra junk (in some file formats). Don't worry about it. Chances are that you only need the data pieces.

Hope this helps,
Marc

>If you are using a standard target - such as the ECI or IT874, then you can also use MonacoPOFILER.

Not quite actually. GMG tosses a portion of the patches of these targets (200 patches or so) from its profile tables, so exporting the ECI or IT8 data from GMG is short of what Monaco requires. The workaround is to do all the measureing upfront with say Gretag MeasureTool, and import the Lab data into GMG (which again will dump some data that it doesn't have existing fulcrums for, as well as average duplicate patches) and/or use the data with another profiling application.

Does ProfileMaker and Monaco Profiler both do essentially the same thing? Do you get a bigger bang for your buck with one vs. the other?

If I'm exporting my target data as a text file from a GMG rip do either of these color management tools allow me to import that text data to create an ICC? Marc you had mentioned that I needed to bring the text data into an Excel file. Would I then be exporting data from the excel file into one of the color management tools? I didn't understand what you meant with creating a sample text file.

Thanks

Steve

Yes, Monaco Profiler and Gretag ProfileMaker do the same thing.

The difference is that more people would say that profiles made from Profiler are better. On the other hand ProfileMaker is much more flexible and it will allow you to work with custom targets. It is a better choice if you need to use it with gmg.

Would they allow you to make an ICC profile from gmg exported data? It depends on the target chart used in gmg to make your mx4. I bet you will have more luck with ProfileMaker.

Just want to add that PerfX Pro™ can make ICC profiles with ANY CGATS format target file. No matter the number of color patches. The only data needed in the CGATS file is CMYK and Lab values.
You can even create your own target.

Hope this help!

Louis Dery
TGLC inc.
www.tglc.com

It looks good but the price? OUCH!

I guess you can buy 2 copies of ProfileMaker for 4550CAN?

Don't you guys know that economy is not in the best shape? It's hard to justify that much cash.

Ryan,

You can also take a look at PerfX Repro™ which also allows to make custom targets like Pro.

Louis

Hi flexonaut,

in the GMG ProfileEditor you have the option to export an ICC profile from an MX4. Have you checked the GMG documentation on the GMG Support website?
You find the documentation for export/import Lab data after log in to the GMG support area under:
/ Support/ Documentation/ Release_Notes/ Messungen/ Import/Export of Lab-Data

Regards
Nicolas

Why doesn't an MX5 profile allow you to export CMYK as an ICC profile? Can I just import my target data from my existing MX5 file into a new MX4 file and use that to export a CMYK ICC profile? Does this ICC profile generated from the GMG rip contain enough info to use for converting RGB images or viewing as a proof setup in photoshop?

Steve

ICC export works only with MX4 - the profile should be used for softproofing purposes only. For RGB separation you can use GMG ColorServer.

Nicolas

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back