Idea of Mono Click Costs

Josh

Hello all!

We currently have a DC240 and a DC5000AP, however we're producing more and more mono training manuals and short-run books which could really use a dedicated mono box.

I'm looking at a used Nuvera 120 (which is being advertised by a finance company) however as we haven't had a dedicated mono machine before I'm unsure what click cost we should expect... we'll obviously go through Xerox eventually but just wanted to get an idea first!

Volumes are likely to be somewhere between 100k-500k.

Any input would be much appreciated!

On a 4112 we pay $625.00 base maintenance charge which includes the first 50,000 & then .0039 for everything after that.

Just the maintenance plus clicks. Last month we ran 220,000 full size clicks on the machine and didn't break a sweat. We used our own finance company to purchase the 4112 & the 700 in one package deal.

On the 700 we ran 150,000 full size clicks.

I am looking at the 4127. We are running a bunch of the 80# Gloss Text through the X700 on black only. What is your opinion of the 4112's ability to print on coated stocks? Does it look good or like a black/white "copy" where the toner is clearly "on top" of the Paper? (If that makes sense.) We have a Ricoh 2090 that is great at 20# bond but looks like crap on any photos/gradients and can't run anything heavier (stable).

I am trying to find a black and white that I can mix pages from the color machines and have the quality look decent.

Thanks,
Jerod.

Would I say it looks as good as the X700? No. It uses a different type of fuser than the 700. We have seen some discoloration of the stock due to the fuser/web cleaner device. I believe the cloth in the device actually has some fuser oil impregnated in it. You don't have as much control of the imaging and curves that you do on the 700. Screens don't look too bad unless you get down to 3-5%. Overall it does a good job. We're real picky about the quality and a lot of people don't see some of the things we look for.

In 10 months we've only had 16,000 B&W clicks on the 700, so we haven't put many black clicks on it. We usually have our Digital CSR or pre-press dept. open up the photo's some if we're printing on coated stock on the 4112. That way things look better, it doesn't take much time and our customers are satisfied.

For a true production machine this is the range I've seen:
Lowest $0.001 (kodak digimaster government contract)
Highest $0.01 (some xerox contracts, Oce's and digimasters)

I'd use $0.006 as a starting point and go down from there based on volume, volume of machine, and cost of the hardware.

You really have to watch Xerox though. I do like many of their machines but they are really sneaky. They try to hide the real click charges by including so many in the machine cost, they've done odd pricing schemes where so many clicks are "x" rate and the rest are "y" rate for the month., etc., etc.

I'd ask Xerox or anybody to make it crystal clear. This is how much the machine is and this is how much the clicks are. None of that intermixed BS.

I'd say $0.0041 on a docutech is too much. Other users have told me that self-service parts and supplies will run about $1,000 per million prints...or $0.001

I wouldn't rule out other brands just to go with Xerox. Even I used to think they were about the best and had the lowest prices...now I've realized that quite often they're the most expensive.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back