iGen Color Calibration

DigitalG

Our company is considering an iGen3 purchase and I'm looking for more information on the automatic calibration system (ACQS) that they offer as an add-on. Is it worth the expense??? Can someone please explain the manual calibration procedures for the iGen and the time they take to perform? Is the ACQS giving me anything that I CAN'T do manually? Any information will help!

Hi there DigitalG,

In regards to difference in times they take to perform:
The automated calibration feature is faster than the manual calibration feature (times may vary depending on operator experience and how many halftones you are calibrating for). The ACQS uses a spectrophotometer which is located inside the printer, the manual process requires manual feeding of sheets into the X-Rite DTP 41 Spectrophotometer.

Additional features of ACQS:
The Spot Color Calibration feature automates a feature that not only takes time to perform manually, but requires a lot of skill to visually inspect and match a spot color. The Advanced Profiling feature may provide better results than the Fleet profile depending on what types of images are used in a job, the quality of the input, etc.

I am not a sales rep, but if you'd like more information you can contact your local Xerox rep or call the XSIS marketing line at 1-888-65-ASK-XSIS... (or private message me your contact info and I can help put you in touch with someone!) :)

Last edited:
X33, is time savings the only advantage to consider? I'm looking for information on what other advantages there are to the ACQS system. Is there anything that it does that CAN'T be done manually?

Good morning DigitalG,

Calibrating on the iGen can be quite time consuming depending on how tight your color controls are. The manual process entails scanning in 26-30 different strips one at a time through the DTP41. Xerox has built in a color check tool that allows the operator to scan two strips to test for when calibration is required...this is a pass/fail process known as color check but does not provide any true fact based Delta E data regarding the true state of the engine.

ACQS is a tool for automating this calibration process but has limitation as X33 stated....and again still requires color skill and time for subjective color tweaking.

As a former Xerox iGen analyst, I would ask that you consider several questions when evaluating what is the best color control system to implement:

1. Are you throwing away paper and time trying to match color between offset and digital? Or matching more than one digital device to another digital device in your facility? ACQS is specific to the iGen and calibrating...it does not allow you to create a common color workflow for all of your technology.

2. Do you require color consistency and matching run to run, day to day, and week to week? ACQS still requires skill and time to achieve this.....

3. Would you have more confidence in printing repeat jobs if you could actually measure and see the Delta E information on the day of the first run be it press or digital and then be able to see that same information and provide it to your customer in a report the next month when you have to run additional sets to show that you are actually matching?

4. Most importantly would you like to address all of the above mentioned areas of opportunity that can be so challenging when dealing with color printing with an automatic, seamless, and easy to use tool that requires zero skill to produce accurate color?

In my iGen accounts, we found that the only way to really ensure that our customers were able to meet these goals was to implement ORIS Press Matcher Pro. Many traditional offset end users are already using the core technology this platform is built from in prepress for inkjet proofing (ORIS Color Tuner) and based on how tight and accurate the color was, requested to upgrade to ORIS Press Matcher Pro to match offset to digital and digital to digital, or simply to ensure that any job run today will be reproduced next week and look the same.

Please let me know if you want to hear and learn more about this solution, I'd love to share with you more about my experiences and also provide you with existing users who are willing to talk to you about their success with ORIS Press Matcher Pro.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back