ILLUSTRATOR: convert to gray

Dario

Hi all,
I'm trying to convert some vector objects from CMYK-gray to K-gray inside ILLUSTRATOR and to get a result similar to what PHOTOSHOP gives, because if I do it using PHOTOSHOP the outcome looks "better".
Converting a CMYK object to gray in ILLUSTRATOR gives me a result too different from the original.
I hope I'm making myself clear...
(see attached sample)
How to do it?

Attachments

• Schermata 2018-01-24 alle 16.06.45.jpg
    Schermata 2018-01-24 alle 16.06.45.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 338
hi

how do you have defined your grayscale colorsetting workingspace in Photoshop? gamma 1.8 or gamma 2.2 or 15% TVI or 20% TVI or...?

I don´t have an actual Version of Illustrator, but i guess there is no possibility to define a grayscale workingspace. But may be you got more equal results, if you change your Illustrator CMYK-workingspace-profil bevor you convert from one mode to the other?

may be your problem is located there...?

Ulrich

hi

how do you have defined your grayscale colorsetting workingspace in Photoshop? gamma 1.8 or gamma 2.2 or 15% TVI or 20% TVI or...?

I don´t have an actual Version of Illustrator, but i guess there is no possibility to define a grayscale workingspace. But may be you got more equal results, if you change your Illustrator CMYK-workingspace-profil bevor you convert from one mode to the other?

may be your problem is located there...?

Ulrich

I was thinking the same and my outcome was same as yours: the is no gray color setting in Adobe Illustrator!
I'm using 'dot gain 15%' in Photoshop and I'm not able to reproduce it in Illustrator :(

When you say "Converting a CMYK object to gray in ILLUSTRATOR" - where are are you doing that ?

Select the object or groups on the artboard you want to convert, then under the "Edit" menu choose "Edit Colors" then "Convert to Grayscale" ?

have you tried

Use the Edit > Edit Colors> Adjust Colors command to convert objects to grayscale and adjust the shades of gray at the same time - or, just use Adjust colors and pick the color you want...

Have you tried saving as a PDF and converting this within Acrobat ? Or PitStop ? Illustrator does not have a working grayscale space.

Attachments

• adjustColors.png
    adjustColors.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 381
gray conversion in acrobat and illustrator does not always work the same as photoshop. We just spend a day trying to correct a gray/4color issue and found 100% of 4 CP black object does not convert to 100 grey.

I think you can finagle PitStop into doing greyscale conversions "more" like Photoship does - but I agree it is fussy.

I was thinking the same and my outcome was same as yours: the is no gray color setting in Adobe Illustrator!
I'm using 'dot gain 15%' in Photoshop and I'm not able to reproduce it in Illustrator :(

In Photoshop you could make a legacy custom CMYK 15% Max GCR CMYK working space colour setting, then save it to a profile for use in Illustrator… This should get you +/- 1% to the 15% dot gain value on various tones.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
In Photoshop you could make a legacy custom CMYK 15% Max GCR CMYK working space colour setting, then save it to a profile for use in Illustrator… This should get you +/- 1% to the 15% dot gain value on various tones.

Stephen Marsh

applause! (That works fine...)

:)

Ulrich

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back