Illustrator PDF for Prinergy settings

LoweringTheBar

Kodak gave us settings to make high res PDFs from Adobe products, and we've been trying to get our client's to use these settings so they can provide us with useable PDF's.

However, one of our client's noticed that in illustrator you have a check box for "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" that makes a HUGE difference in the file size. Is this setting really necessary for Prinergy 4.02? I've tested it and found that I can still edit the refined PDF in illustrator with the option turned off, but I can't help but think that it's important and we'll get burned somewhere down the road if it's not turned on. Call it prepress paranoia... or just experience.

Anybody have experience with this setting?

Thanks...

Re: Illustrator PDF for Prinergy settings

If I were in your shoes, I'd keep it turned on. For no other reason than if you have to debate with Kreodak about tech support / trouble shooting, etc.. you'll be on the same page, and they will not be able to throw that in as a variable in the equation. Does it make a difference technically speaking from a prepress stand point, yes as it constructs the file differently.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Ill...WS714a382cdf7d304e7e07d0100196cbc5f-6543.html
Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities Saves all Illustrator data in the PDF file. Select this option if you want to be able to reopen and edit the PDF file in Adobe Illustrator.
Important: The Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities option counteracts aggressive compression and downsampling. If file size is a concern, deselect this option.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=330081
Create PDF Compatible File option
AI files use both PDF and PGF formats. If you choose the Create PDF Compatible File option, then Illustrator creates an accompanying PDF file that is compatible with any application that recognizes PDF files. If you choose this option, then the file size increases because you're saving two formats within the Illustrator file.

Vee

Re: Illustrator PDF for Prinergy settings

If illustrator editing is important to you, than leave it checked, but in such case you might as well request source files instead of PDFs.
Just PDF will not be good enough if you don't have fonts loaded as well.
Somehow I don't think you are going to use it all the time.

I would stick with standards, instead of vendor specification, like PDF/X-4 (since you have Prinergy).
This way is easier to get customer on board because standards are already preset in decent graphic software and you just tell them to pick them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back