Illustrator Plug-ins for CAD files

We are taking the plunge into Wide Format printing. We are investing in a couple of printers, one is a flatbed and one a roll. We will be doing cutting, scoring etc. on a separate machine. We will be using Kasemake design software and a GMG Rip. From what I understand the conversions from CAD to Illustrator don't always work well. Does anyone have recommendations for plug-ins to use in Illustrator that will do the best job of converting CAD files to Illustrator and vice-versa?

Todd, that is a pretty broad statement that may not be totally based on fact, it very much depends on expectations and CAD software export file formats, Illustrator import formats etc.

My advice is before looking for alternatives, explore what you have!

Stephen Marsh

This one peaked my curiosity.
Of course I know that Esko offers a free plugin for Ai that will import Artios CAD files directly into Illustrator called Data Exchange (http://www.esko.com/en/downloads/software/free-software/).
But according to the Kasemake brochure from their website you should be able to export in Ai, PDF, or EPS formats directly out of Kasemake. Sounds like your best bet.

But according to the Kasemake brochure from their website you should be able to export in Ai, PDF, or EPS formats directly out of Kasemake. Sounds like your best bet.

Exactly, shameless plug aside :] If the CAD software in question can export a 1:1 scale file in common vector design formats such as AI/EPS/PDF – then it may just be a case of managing expectations when importing to design software (is the structural design in spot colour for cut and crease palettes etc).

If the exports are found wanting, then what is “wrong” with them and what is the best way to fix or work around the perceived issue?

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back