Illustrator Question

Robert carter

I do all of my typesetting in illy and I am have a problem with screens. I'm wanting to make boxes with borders with like 10% screens, the problem is that I want a coarser screen so that my CP50 will be able to pick up the dot pattern. When I used page maker years ago, it seemed to have a way to be able to change the amount of dots per inch, does illy have any thing like that? when I print it out of the laser printer it almost looks tonal like a color copier. Any suggestion?

I wouldn't mind knowing the same thing - I have tried using my Xerox DC250 to simulate dots and angles but it really doesn't work nice

About all you can do is change the print resolution setting in the output tab in the print dialog box. I think the lowest setting is 85 lpi, which is what newspapers use. I don't know if that will change much anyway.

Photoshop used to have a setting you could change to do what you want, but they "improved" that choice away a few versions ago.

Or just create a pattern fill with whatever halftone you want to reproduce. Fill the borders with the pattern and you can leave your files at 300dpi.

If you can get a hold of an older computer with CS2 or CS3 on it, Photoshop will be able to do it. I don't know what at what version the option disappeared, but I think it was CS4.

I tried to do this to simulate a screen print for customers to show them why some of their artwork wouldn't look good on a shirt, but found it wouldn't cooperate.

Couple of options: Check to make sure your digital printer is at 300 dpi on is print resolution. If it is higher say 600 or 1200 this will play a factor as it may over ride your settings from illustrator. You can ask your sales rep, but they sold you the world so their printer is the biggest bestest one ever... at least that is what they want you to believe. Does your machine have Postscript installed? If not keep it in mind for future upgrades as you get what you pay for.

Option 2: Create a halftone in PS make it a bitmap image an then place it back into AI. Leave as is or auto trace.

Option 3: Repeat after me "Google is our friend and we will not be afraid to search for our answers before posting" there are literally TONS of tutorials on halftones and special effects all over the web. Do your homework, especially if your in a crunch. Remember the worst graphic designers (and prepress folks) are those that quit learning and think they do not need to study up and stay current. Keep that in mind or go the way of the dodo.

I just looked at Illy 5 & 6 and if you set it up for seperations you can specifiy any screen ruling you want in the seperations setup see attached image

View attachment 4319

Keep in mind that the halftone screening algorithms in Illustrator and PhotoShop are extremely basic RT screening. OK at low lpi for decorative use and maybe for low lpi one color work - but garbage for 4/C work.

Astute Graphics makes a plug in (PHANTASM) that allows you to select a vector element, in this case a 10% black rectangle and turns it into vector half tone elements. You can specify the ruling and angle but the DPI values are not exact. A little testing is in order. The file may become too complex if you have many elements that you handle in this way. There is a free trial that is 100% functional on their website.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back