Imac hard drive problem

Robert carter

2007 imac 24", I put a new hd in it, partitioned it did everything according to what I read online and I keep getting the message "cannot install osx on this Mac" any thought would be appreciated. Thanks Robert.

2007 imac 24", I put a new hd in it, partitioned it did everything according to what I read online and I keep getting the message "cannot install osx on this Mac" any thought would be appreciated. Thanks Robert.

What version of OSX are you trying to install? Since it is an older Mac, perhaps you are attempting to install a newer version of OSX that the hardware on your Mac cant run.

-Sev

Did you use the correct partition scheme when you formatted the drive?

For an INTEL mac, use GUID
For an older Power-PC mac, use Apple Partition Map
Never use MBR on an internal drive... this is for PC compatibility on external drives.

Then format using the Mac OS Extended (journaled) option.
Don't use the case sensitive version... this will prevent installing any adobe software.

Hope this helps.

That's weird... a 24 inch iMac should be an Intel. Can you boot the computer from the leopard 10.5 CD?
Also are you a 100% sure the disc you are using came with this computer, and not some other Mac?
The gray discs will only work with the exact same (model) computer it came with, and nothing else.

Eject by dragging the disk icon on the desktop to the trashcan bottom right.
If you are booted from the disc, you cannot eject it. You will have to power down the computer.
If the disc hasn't come out after powering down, then restart the computer while holding down the mouse button. After a while it should eject.

To see which model computer you have, you can go to the apple icon top left and select 'about this mac'
Then hit the more info button and it should give you all the information you need.

If you can't do all this, look at the little shield that's under the base of your mac (lay it on it's back). It should have a model number on there, (Axxxx) and/or an EMC number.

If you post any number you find, I can look it up for you if you prefer.

both discs say 2009, i believe that the imac is a 2007 but not sure.

If what you are saying is true, then the discs are not for this Mac and it won't work. Best option is to order Snow Leopard at apple (see my link above). That disc will work with any Intel Mac up to 2011 or so.

Last edited:
Definitely sounds like the wrong system discs. Not sure if you can still buy copies of Snow Leopard, or anything really older then Mountain Lion. A Mac store should have the installers for the OS you need, might be best to contact them if you cannot locate a retail OS X install disc.

btw that 24" screen is bigger than the side of my head. I can remember watching tv's with way smaller screens than that, anyone with me?

Forgot to tell you. The Snow Leopard disc you ordered doesn't come with iLife (iMovie, iPhoto, GarageBand), so those will not be on your computer if you install it. They did come on the grey discs. Not sure if it is possible to install iLife only from the 'wrong' grey discs you have.
If you don't use any of that software, then it doesn't matter anyway.

Go to System Profiler in the upper left corner (the Apple) and click More Info. That should tell you what kind of processor you have, Power PC or Intel. If it's Intel, it will work with Snow Leopard, but may not go all the way up to Mountain Lion.

And no, you can't install anything from the "wrong" disc.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back