Image Quality Thoughts....

kdw75

Our Xerox 2100 has been doing this for quite some time and service seems to think it is normal. Can anyone else with a Versant confirm? Notice the area around the type. This happens on all stocks.

Attachments

• photo8593.jpg
    photo8593.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 433
  • photo8594.jpg
    photo8594.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 400
I don't think that is normal as I don't recall seeing that when we had the 2100.

First thing I would check. Are your MOB sensors clean. I would remove the sensor module and make sure they are clean.

Is that fading on trail edge or lead edge? There is a setting under Edge Enhancement called "Trailing edge compensation" on the 3100. I can't remember if that was available on the 2100 or not, but it might be something to look at if it is available on the 2100.

Last edited:
Rough recreation as best I can on a V80 on 300gsm silk. I would say its there but not as bad as your samples. Looking back at past jobs I think it looks worse on heavier cards.

Attachments

• TEST.jpg
    TEST.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 367
The blur is something that happens on our V180, but is not quite as apparent as your example. The large orange "A" trapping issue happens on maybe one out of a few hundred jobs. Are you using Freeflow?

We are using a Fiery FS100Pro. On the black sample, it is at the trailing edge, but on the orange A, I can see it at the top of the A, which would be on the non-OP side as the gripper is at the bottom of the image. I have always been a little disappointed that it didn't look at least as good as our C75.

I don't think that is normal as I don't recall seeing that when we had the 2100.

First thing I would check. Are your MOB sensors clean. I would remove the sensor module and make sure they are clean.

Is that fading on trail edge or lead edge? There is a setting under Edge Enhancement called "Trailing edge compensation" on the 3100. I can't remember if that was available on the 2100 or not, but it might be something to look at if it is available on the 2100.

Are you referring to the sensors on the underside of the drum drawer on the left side as you look at the machine?

The surrounding metal housing gets covered with toner every day it seems. I always wipe it off and then fold up the paper towel and try to clean the sensor, but I will try being more thorough and see if that helps.

I have seen some strange registration issues as well color shifts during a run when those sensors get dirty.

This is the trail edge bleed or edge deletion which I believe is due to the speed these presses are running at now.
For us it was a deal breaker. Our customers noticed it and when competing against companies with Indigos we needed our quality to be top notch.

When we upgraded from an 800 with Creo to a 1000i and Versant both running Fiery. We immediately noticed it and kicked up a stink. Fiery refused to release a patch for the older RIP's (2100 and 1000i) and we switched to the Fuji Xerox GX Server on the 2100 which had an edge density correction setting.

We have since had the 1000i pulled out and replaced with an Iridesse with the GX Server and it's not a problem anymore.

This is the trail edge bleed or edge deletion which I believe is due to the speed these presses are running at now.
For us it was a deal breaker. Our customers noticed it and when competing against companies with Indigos we needed our quality to be top notch.

When we upgraded from an 800 with Creo to a 1000i and Versant both running Fiery. We immediately noticed it and kicked up a stink. Fiery refused to release a patch for the older RIP's (2100 and 1000i) and we switched to the Fuji Xerox GX Server on the 2100 which had an edge density correction setting.

We have since had the 1000i pulled out and replaced with an Iridesse with the GX Server and it's not a problem anymore.

Not sure what the GX server is. I am wondering if the Versant 3100 would be any better.

I would love the Iridesse, but we can't justify the base charge. We aren't wanting to spend more than $4500/mo. for the machine and RIP.

Not sure what the GX server is. I am wondering if the Versant 3100 would be any better.

I would love the Iridesse, but we can't justify the base charge. We aren't wanting to spend more than $4500/mo. for the machine and RIP.

The GX is a Fuji Xerox development so probably didn't make it to America.

I believe the Fiery on the 3100 had the edge density feature.

The Iridesse is great but it definitely comes at a cost. For us worth it as we are generally producing higher margin work but we've definitely had to bend over a little to fill the press with some more commercial work. In saying that the more these presses run, the better they perform so it's probably the right mix to have.

Just curious OP since I haven't run these particular machines, do you have an option to run the screen as line? This ghost effect on other machines can be sorted by switching to line screen. Also the image with the "A" what size font is that? I ask only to get a size perspective. With that one if you have any auto-trapping option in RIP curious if that would help that as well (or again switching to line-screen). The thing is if it didn't do it when it was dropped on your floor then it isn't "normal" and they need to get to the root of the problem.

Just curious OP since I haven't run these particular machines, do you have an option to run the screen as line? This ghost effect on other machines can be sorted by switching to line screen. Also the image with the "A" what size font is that? I ask only to get a size perspective. With that one if you have any auto-trapping option in RIP curious if that would help that as well (or again switching to line-screen). The thing is if it didn't do it when it was dropped on your floor then it isn't "normal" and they need to get to the root of the problem.

The "A" is just over an inch tall. Trapping will hide hide this. Running 150 Line screen works to make large screens look better, but can cause other issues depending on the job. I need to pull samples from back when it was installed, it has been doing this for over a year that I know of. The only downside of in-RIP trapping is that it seems to trap a little too much, causing it to look funny. We don't have the option that allows us to adjust the trap amount.

Im having this same exact issue, always on orange text, it has a yellow outline.

Im running a v180. Did you manage to solve it?

Not really. We switched to Ricoh 7210s and they don't have this issue And can do screens without banding.

I was told that the V3100 is essentially the same print engine as the V2100 so I'm not sure that there's going to be much of a fix on that end.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back