Images not cropping in PDF from ID CS3

GregB

I've got a question I'm sure is easy to answer. A publication we produceis created in ID CS3, exported as PDF with our printer's settings and on 2 pages of 52, images haven't kept the InDesign crop. Hope you can help me. PDF attached

Attachments

• ENTERPRISE PAGE 21 smaller.pdf
    447.6 KB · Views: 194
Kind of hard tounderstand. Are you refering to the add? It is a little tricky to trouble shoot from a final PDF, some times you need to back track into the original placed PDF add. Usually it is the quality of the placed material not the PDF generated from InDesign that is the problem.

Covering things with boses is allways a bad idea. What is not unusual is that the add is placed, then patched with white boxes and new text added on top. Later someone goes and edits the add, not unusually in Illustrator, and there also affects the document trim, art or crop box, so that the add moves in the original file. I'd go and look in the file that made the PDF (not necessarily the second to last itteration :p) and you will most likely see it looks as your PDF.

I'd like to see a screen shot of the page in indesign and the page in Acrobat next to it. so that the "bugg" would be more apparent. Note the InDesign file should be with high res preview and overprint enabled.

Thanks for replying. I probably haven't explained things well. The advert at the base of the page is an EPS file created out of indesign thru our Cybergraphic system and placed into a graphic frame in ID page. Then the page is exported as PDF with our printer's job options. Attached is the screen shot requested. I don't know where the white box at the bottom right of the ad in the previous PDF came from, but I've attached a higher res pdf to view

Attachments

• Screen Grab.jpg
    Screen Grab.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 170
Seems like a bugg in the Cybergraphic. I'd make sire the Cybergraphic is compliant with the Magazine ads preflight found in Acrobat.

What do the job options look like?

What kind of control do you have over the files coming out of Cybergraphic? Do they have to be eps files? Can the eps be opened in Illustrator and saved out as an .ai file?

What I'm seeing in Acrobat shows that the image of the two guys is within a clipping frame. The image of the dollar-sign has no frame. Were the images overlaid by the eps?

Last edited:
Quick update.
The eps was created by an export from Indesign to the advert folder with level 2 and binary options. After a few tests, I transposed the pics and the picture on the right hand side of the ad is the one that jumps out of the graphic box.
I exported the advert as a PDF with the pictures moved either size of the ad and imported the advert into the page, then exported and the pics are fine.
Back to the testing

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back