In-house proofing system

Gregg

I am looking to get an proofing system to help with our in-house prepress workflow. I work for a book publisher and am often in need of SWOP proofs to accompany ads we are submitting for various publications. I am also looking to provide some of our domestic print vendors with SWOP proofs, or output proofs using the vendor's custom profile.

The bulk of our work is handled in the Far East (scanning, proofing, printing), so the system I need won't be in constant use, more like a couple of proofs a week.

I have been looking at the Epson 4880 with the Colorburst RIP. The media capacity, and the printer's footprint are ideal for what I need, and where I need it to go.

I am hoping to get some feedback from other publisher's or printers. Anyone using a similar set-up for similar needs. Any recommendation on comparable equipment? I realize that there are probably similar posts about this topic, but with technology constantly on the move, I fear reading old posts might steer me in the wrong direction.

I would really appreciate your comments. Thanks in advance.

Just a quick note: Do you intend to send PDFx1 or PDFx4 files?
If PDFx1, you are more flexible because the CMYK values are decided.

If PDFx4 then there will be colour management, and choosing your RIP will give different results depending on the CMM of the rip systems and if Black Point Compensation (BPC) is enabled, since there are RGB and Lab to CMYK conversions involved. If your proofer rip would enable BPC and your printer dissable (or not have the option to enable) or vice versa you will get a visual difference.

Hi, Lukas.

The files for our advertisements would be PDFx-1.

The files for our jacket printers would be either PDFx-1, or native InDesign files.

Ok then the proof rip doesn't matter. Most proof rips have CMYK to CMYK with verification.
Besides the colour burst and GMG you can get the Fuji or AGFA proofing soloutions. Most of them will have an EPSOn in the end anyway.

Thanks, Lukas.

When you say GMG are you referring to a specific product, perhaps GMG colorproof 4.5?

Also, are there specific Fuji and Agfa products that you recommend?

Hi Gregg,
We use Epson 7xxx + ColorBurst RIP... I suggest you skip ColorBurst completely. CB rip has issues printing from Quark and InDesign...silly thing like orientation setting that seems to change every 6-months or whenever Apple release new system update. It never fails to affect output setting.

Aside from that, I do not find color accurate enough. Meaning if I put a printer's proof right next to our Epson print, I can easily see an over-saturation problem. Even after some CMS testing, I still can't get color anywhere near printer's proof. Frankly, CB rip to me is more a rip for photographers, they tend to like more saturated images and this rip has no problem producing that type of results.

Hi Gregg

We use the 4880 for proofing here and have been happy with it. If you do decide to go with the Colorburst RIP I'd suggest avoiding the bundled version that Epson sells with it. That version is limited to Epson papers. If you get the full version from Colorburst (or upgrade the Epson version) then you get the option to use any paper, not just the Epson papers, which can be a big cost savings in the long run.

I have seen the orientation issues that Tech mentioned, but since we generally print by exporting press-ready PDFs into a hot folder, it's not a problem with our workflow.

We did have to go though several rounds of calibration and a couple of different papers stocks to get it where it needs to be, but it can work.

Shawn

Greg,

I am not sure why anyone has not mention CGS Color Tuner. Their product has gained the market at rapid rate, simply because it is superior to all others. I make a living placing products in printers, publishers and agencies. Reputation is everything I put name on CGS products and vision. Check it out for yourself.

CGS · Products

Best regards & Good Luck !

cmykdigital

Greg,

yes that is right, you should have look on ORIS COLOR TUNER, you can manage your proofs by a hotfolder based queue or print directly from your application. CT handles all file formats and you have also add on products to verify your proofs by FOGRA or Gracol just for example.
With the hotfolder technology it´s easy to improve to your existing prepress workflow.

Bernd

Contract Proof

Contract Proof

Greg, to really contract proof in Swop system I recommend use Compose Starproof Lite. The proofing solution of compose give you the chance to use the 1-bit tiff file make by your RIP and create a proofing with dot and screen patterns. Also have the estimator tools that allow you to make a chart with the Swop ICC profile and estimated the result to narrow the gamut of your epson 4880 and deliver a Swop proof with a Delta 2. Compose have Gracol 7 paper that is certificated.

Swop Proofing

Swop Proofing

We use Color Burst rip Vers. 8.1 (PrePress). An Epson 9800 for Swop Proofing. We have a PDF workflow producing PDFs for the Preps imposition app. and platesetting. Vers 8.1 handles all our needs and is a program that is more than what we will ever need. I found tech support for CB to be sufficient when needed.
We also have a BestRip workflow from days gone by now known as the EFI Rip I believe. Price is salty on the EFI's! I liked the BestRip though, I would have prefered the upgrade to that. With the proper Color Profiling set up for CB you should be fine matching the press.

I have a 4800 here, running an old version of efi Designer. I think the latest version is XF, which offers lots on neat add-ons. We're about to upgrade, because Designer doesn't have any kind of job logs. I gave up on using ColorBurst after about a week.

What I would recommend is you also install a system to monitor your color. A lot of the products mentioned before offer it as an add-on or plug in. If your printer is used infrequently, your color will drift, most likely from clogged print heads. The product we use will even print out a little "SWOP OK" sticker, showing Delta values, for anyone who knows how to read them.

Cgs oris color tuner

Cgs oris color tuner

I too recommend Oris Color Tuner. We proof on a 4800 and the system works really well. You don't need the dot proofing. Everyone's dots are different and if you are proofing for publications there are going to be variations that are due to ink densities and substrates anyway.

John

CGS Oris Color Tuner

CGS Oris Color Tuner

I also suggest CGS Oris Color Tuner since you are not only use SWOP, you may use custom profile from your vendor too. We use at least SWOP, GRACoL, Custom profile for newsprint FM screen and Fogra27 recently for a job from Europe. I can match any standard using Oris Color Tuner with 9800 and the result are excellent. They are certified system from Idealliance. Check this out "http://www.swop.org/certification/systemlist.asp"

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back