Inconsistant lines in PDF

rande

I'm not sure where this question should go.
Here's the problem;
I have a client that when they make a PDF (not sure out of what; I'm thinking Indd.)
their "lines after" in their little form are different thicknesses.
They've made them with dashes and tabs it looks like then changed the kerning to tighten them up.
What I'm seeing in pitstop is that there is a mask around them. Releasing the mask doesn't help.

anyone seen this before? any fixes.

could it be the way they save the PDF?

also it's not just an Acrobat screen view. The hard copy is the same way.

thanks

Last edited:
Without seeing the original source file and knowing how the PDF file was created, any response here would be totally a WAG. Post a sample source and PDF and maybe some of us can really assist you.

- Dov

Without seeing the original source file and knowing how the PDF file was created, any response here would be totally a WAG. Post a sample source and PDF and maybe some of us can really assist you.

- Dov

That's the problem, I'm on the receiving end. Third down the line.
We ended up going back to our clients client and they did something to fix it. I told them to draw the lines. But they shouldn't have to do that.
-I didn't know if anyone had ran into that.
-thought someone might have some troubleshooting theories
-How anyone could save a file that would jackup type like that?
-I needed something to go back and tell them, but wasn't sure what could have happened.

We're supposed to be the answer men and I had none.

but thanks anyway. 'til next time.

The trouble is that there are multiple ways to screw up a file like this. And if you are going to give an answer that is worth something, you've got to have the assets to determine exactly which way they screwed up!

- Dov :D

Bad lines

Bad lines

I have seen the bad lines when you use dashes and tabs. Can be fixed by changing font, some fonts do it. Also have seen it as a display issue in PDFs zooming in will display it right.

@ rande

As Dov is saying you need to know what the question is to come up with the answer.
If you just need an answer why not quote the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy and tell the custoer "42!" wich is the answer to the ultimate question of life the universe and EVERYTHING.

Oh by the way by looking at ctrl-D (command D on mac) you will get info of what created your PDF file, at least the last step. Remember you may find a file that says it came from indesign but infact it was a wordfile that used PDF writer, then was edited in Illustrator, exported to EPS opened in photoshop converted to JPG and then placed in quark distilled then placed again in InDesign....

it was a wordfile that used PDF writer, then was edited in Illustrator, exported to EPS opened in photoshop converted to JPG and then placed in quark distilled then placed again in InDesign....

You forgot to put MS Publisher in the mix...

-Sev

First of all, can you confirm that the line is solid when you zoom in to 400x or 800x?
Are you viewing in Professional or Reader? Try the other one, is text smoothing and/or image smoothing checked in your preferences, if so un-check these.

Another option is to use the "Compile Postscript Listing" menu option.
Then drop the PS file onto the Preview app. (or use pstopdf in the Terminal!)
one final suggestion do a printout on a high res printer and check, could be the limitation of your video card is causing the screen to render a line.

regards
Maas

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back