InD text tool

bluskool

My company is finally making the switch to InDesign, which is fantastic to say the least. However, there is one thing about InD that is driving me nuts and I have not heard anyone else raise this issue, which is making me think that I am missing something here.

When I want to put my cursor on a line of text I want to select anywhere in a document, the bottom of the text tool must be above the line I want to select. This is the opposite of every other program that I have ever used. In most programs, the top of the cursor must not be touching the line above at all or else you will be selecting the line above instead of the line you want to select. I expect that when I click on the middle of a line, I am getting my cursor on that line, but in InD, the cursor goes on the line below. This is really driving me crazy. Is there a setting for this or do I just have to get used to InD working different than every other program that I use (by the way, if I have to get used to it, I will. Placing multiple files at once and easy PDF creation are too wonderful for me to go back to Quark).

Dan R.

Re: InD text tool

what version of Indesign and what OS, please.

In CS3, on my mac with 10.4.11, I can place my cursor in the middle of a line of text and double click and it will highlight the copy just fine.

It's possible you may have a font problem.
What do you use for font management?
have you recently removed or added some fonts to your system?

Does this happen to newly set text or existing? If someone has applied an extreme amount of leading it can be a little tricky to select sometimes.

Erik

Is this in all file you open? or just one imparticular? If it's just one, check the baseline shift of the type you are selecting.

It is every file and all text (whether set text or new text, old documents or fresh documents). I checked the baseline shift (that was my first reaction) and no problems there. I am using InD CS3 on mac os 10.4.11. I haven't added or taken away any fonts recently. It has done this since day one of getting CS3. It is good to know it is a problem and not just how the program works. I guess I will try a reinstall. I would attach the file, but even a blank document is 1MB. It could be a font issue, but I don't think so because it only happens in InD and it is with every font I try. I am going to check another comp here when one is free.

You know, I just noticed that when I hold command in to switch to the move tool, the move tool is lower in position than the text tool. Also, the line that goes through the middle of the the text tool is near the bottom of the tool rather than through the middle like in most programs. I don't know if any of that means anything, but I thought I would mention it.

The little line that crosses the text insertion cursor is supposed to represent the baseline of text.

So to select text, you get the little line near (doesn't have to be exactly on) the baseline of the text you want to select, and then drag. In other words, the "hot spot" of the cursor is where the little horizontal line and the tall vertical intersect.

It is different that QuarkXPress I know. But after a little practice you'll realize how it works and it won't be a biggie.

BTW the hotspot for the Selection tool cursor/arrow is its "pointy end", the tip ... and the tail/shaft of the arrow hangs down. So when you switch from the type cursor to the Selection tool, it looks like the Selection tool moves down, but actually it's just putting the hotspot in the same location as where the Type tool's was.

hope that helps...

AM

Yes, but it doesn't work like any other program (not just quark). The baseline line in every program I know does not begin affecting text on the line below until it touches the top of that line. In InD it affects that text as soon as you touch the baseline. I am getting used to it, but after two months now, I still am selecting the wrong lines frequently. I get used to ti after being in InDesign for a little while, but when moving to InDesign from other programs, I get thrown. If this is a program feature, I just don't get trying to change the logic used by every other program out there. What is the point of putting the baseline line near the bottom of the text insertion cursor?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back