Indesign CC - trouble with links

kaiserwilhelm

We have a very large customer that has made the move to CC2014. We have as well.
We are receiving their zip files with packages of Links / Document Fonts, etc.

However, basically since the introduction of CC2014, we are having serious issues with "yellow triangles". Dates on the INDD files not jiving with the Links folder.
No, this is not a case of the zip file being expanded on a PC or something and the date changing to today.
The date still shows Aug 13, or Feb 11. BUT, the INDD file is not calling for dates like that.

I notice that during packaging there is now a new button that can be clicked - Update Graphics Link In Package
Could this be causing the issue?

So, here is the weird anomaly.
The customer is in CC2014. They have the button clicked to make an IDML file. The IDML file opens with ZERO yellow triangles. The CC2014 file opens with 60 yellow triangles.
TOTALLY perplexed!

If you relink one of the images, does it fix all the rest? Maybe something was changed and it is getting confused to the location of the supporting files.

In your ID preferences under File Handling, see if "Check Links Before Opening Document" is checked?

Yes, check links is checked. If I uncheck it, I get 100 percent red instead of yellow.
The perplexing thing is that the IDML works. The IDML was made automatically by CC2014 as it created the packaged file.

OK, we think we have resolution. Happened to notice that they were collecting the files onto their server when packaging out of INDD.
We had them collect to a folder on their Mac desktop. This fixed it from what we can tell.

Another solution would be to move your INDD file into the Links folder and Open and Save. Then you can move your INDD file where you like.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back