InDesign CS2 Export to PDF issues

Re: InDesign CS2 Export to PDF issues

Seconding Al's recommendation, when problems like this come up, it does none of us any good if problems are not reported to us. If the problem is a bug (or more) in InDesign, we can't fix it. If the problem is operator error, we can't assist the user.

So, bottom line is that we really need the end user assistance to track down and resolve these issues.

- Dov

I'll see if I can get an example and get it to you.

Dov, No real need to send anything. Make a PDF FPO from a rip like RAMpage, inset that FPO into InDesign CS3 and export as a PDF. Open in Acrobat and look for the OPI info. You will as these attached screen shots show see no OPI info. I used Pit Stop to show this. I have found a workaround that isn't a bog deal now but was when it first happened. If I make the FPO an EPS the OPI comments are intact. No idea why they are being stripped from the PDF FPO but it may be because to many people were sending OPI PDF's for print and it was causing issues for output providers, like Quark Express PDF's when people leave the POI extension active...

http://mt12.quickshareit.com/share/picture13cac8.jpg
http://mt11.quickshareit.com/share/picture228986.jpg

This is indeed odd. Just to double check I open a CS2file using InDesign CS3 and inserted one of those FPO PDF's, exported it to PDF and ran an Image preflight in Acrobat. Seems this time the POI comments are intact. And the file worked in RAMPage this time as well. Now I'm really at a loss. Didn't work last week but now it does. What ever was causing this issue is now fixed. Still wonder why RAMPage told me CS3 strips comments tho. When I get a chance I'll call them again an see if i can get to the bottom of this.

Yet some more, I tried another larger file in CS3 and once again no OPI comments. This particular File also contained an eps image for the color bars on the plate. The eps was written to OPI but the FPO PDF's were not. Funny thing is the eps wasn't an FPO. I guess for now I'll use eps FPO's if I have to work in CS3 as I don't think I'll ever get an answer to this.

http://mt12.quickshareit.com/share/picture18e9be.jpg

Edited by: almaink on May 19, 2008 10:24 AM

I obviously have no access to +RAMPage+ RIPs nor do I have any staff (I am a one person department so to speak!) to try to second guess what you did and only +hope+ that I am doing exactly what you are doing. If you want to help get this resolved, please provide what I asked for along with all the workflow steps so that I can send it over to the InDesign development team for their analysis.

- Dov

Over a month has passed, a CS3 update is out and this issue is still not resolved. Dov have you heard anything from Adobe yet?
Thanks,
MJK

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back