InDesign CS3 - elements shift positions when removing pages

pajdzn

I have a 36 page file where the first 2 and last 2 pages are the cover. I typically pull those pages out and create a separate file for the cover to incorporate the spine. The remaining pages are saved as the text file. But I discovered that when I remove the first 2 pages, elements throughout the text pages shift position, bars that span the spread pop to the front on the right pages, covering the elements that where in front. There are no links that I can see, no Master pages where used (except a blank default master) and no reason I can find for this to happen. Has anyone experienced this problem? I am a bit concerned since this is causing a lot of confusion.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: InDesign CS3 - elements shift positions when removing pages

Save a copy of the document. Then use the copy for the covers. You can delete the extra pages and not have to worry about anything shifting. Leave the original with the cover in it and just out put the body pages from it.

Thank you for your input, I already took care of the problem. I was just curious about why it happened to begin with. I have a certain way of working that I have been using for many years and things like this pose a problem when they suddenly don't work.

Upgrades should improve the programs, not add to my workload.

Am I wrong here?

Upgrades improve?? There's always something or we'd be out of a job.

Well, this problem isn't limited to CS3, it is apparently an issue with InDesign in general. I can always find a workaround, but I am very curious why this problem happens. Why would images change pages and positions.

It has to do with right and left pages. You can uncheck from the page panel fly-out "Allow pages to shuffle". Alternatively you need to lock down the left and right pages by creating a section at page one, and NOT have automatic numbering.

Left pages are even right pages are odd, and even a temporary left to right page change will cause objects to move. This has nothing to do with versions. It is especially sensitive to objects that span the spread and for that reason will be referenced from the left page, even if only temporarily.

Another reason why it usually is a bad idea to have the cover in the same document is that colour management can only be set to one profile (and therefore paper type) for one document.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back