InDesign CS5.5

almaink

Been trying to use InDesign CS5.5 but I don't like the way things are selected. WHY do I get what looks like a group if I select more than one object? PITFA. I hated when they did this in Illustrator now I have it in InDesign as well. Please tell me I can turn it off and go back to the way it was in CS3.

I do not have a functioning IDCS3 install on this machine. Please describe the objectionable IDCS5.5 behavior in a bit more detail.

Al
alleged semiretired engineer

I don't know how to turn this off. With use, one forgets how things were in CS3 (I too jumped straight from CS3 to CS5). The display is subtly different to selecting a group, the bounding box is unbroken for multiple objects, while a group bounding box is dashed. A group will not show individual objects with selected points, while multiple objects will show selected points on each object.

Correction: I am using CS5

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Ya the problem is if I do a step and repeat the first selected items stay selected and are grouped with the new step. Gotta unselect everything then reselect the stepped items if I want to do something with them and not the original items that were stepped.
I'll learn to work around it I'm sure but WTF does Adobe do these things?

I'm not seeing that behavior in CS6. The stepped items remained selected, but not the original item.

Ya the problem is if I do a step and repeat the first selected items stay selected and are grouped with the new step. Gotta unselect everything then reselect the stepped items if I want to do something with them and not the original items that were stepped.
I'll learn to work around it I'm sure but WTF does Adobe do these things?

I had that same problem in 5.5, but it was "fixed" in 6

I love it when Adobe "fixes" things that weren't broken by making us buy a new version instead of a point release to take care of the issue.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back