InDesign Mystery

prepressdork

Hi everyone,

I have a minor mystery with a InDesign file and wanted to see if any of the experts here might have any ideas:

The Links panel is showing some missing images (most of which appear to be screen captures) but I can't find where they are in the document. I have removed all layers, pages, master pages, AND content and the links are still present in the Links panel.

Selecting a link and clicking the "Go to link" function doesn't do anything (and the Links panel doesn't show where these links are in the document). Where else could they be hiding?

Thanks,
pd

Could they possibly be picture boxes in which the content is moved out of sight? I had that happen on an old document and it drove me nuts until I found the apparently empty box. Perhaps locked? Try unlocking everything and see if that will help you grab something.

I've seen this happen when early on in the design process the customer drags in screen captures or other elements and leaves them off in the pasteboard. You could try saving as an .idml file. This can tune up a balky file.

That's the thing, I've removed EVERYTHING. I even added a blank document page, and removed the original. I also tried adding a new blank master page, and deleting the original. I would assume that if the content were on the pasteboard, said content would have gotten removed with the assigned document page or master page.

Even though the "go to link" appears to go nowhere, did you hit the delete button after selecting "go to link" to see if it removed it?

Maybe try increasing the size of the pasteboard (margins). Just a guess, but they may have dragged things onto it, then reduced it later in the process to "hide" it all.

The Adobe Forum says to save as an idml and then back to an InDesign file as I stated in an earlier post. If that still doesn't work they recommend trashing your preferences file. Please post your resolution so we all can learn. Thanks.

I think it's a bug. I've seen it in when I've tried to import all pages of a lot of disparate PDFs (with/without necessary page boxes, different page counts etc) into an InDesign document, and it's failed to bring everything in. I could delete every page in the document, and there'd still be stuff in the Links palette. That time, it wasn't too much work to start again with a new document.

Have you tried the IDML suggestion? That would definitely be my next step.

DYP - a new blank layer was added and ALL other layers removed
wonderings - upon pressing the delete key, the computer beeped at me as if to say "nothing to delete"
oxburger - tried it and it didn't remove them
prepressRob - tried it but it didn't reveal anything

Macmann - saving and opening the IDML file removed the links from the Links panel

I am going to call this a fluke.

Thanks everyone,
pd :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back