Indigo 5500 and full page screens

thbinney

We've had our 5500 for about 2 weeks, so far we've only printed a hand full of jobs and everyone's been very happy with the color/quality. Today I was given a job that I was afraid would be a mess and I haven't been disappointed- it's going to be a die cut tab page that is nothing but a full sheet of 72% Cyan, 56% Magenta and 38% Black or 57% Cyan, 29% Magenta and 14% Yellow depending on the tab, printing on both sides. Printing on our house 100# Cover NON digital sheet.

My problem is that the screens don't look that good. There are what look like roller marks/lighter/darker areas across the sheet. Basically the same thing you might get on an offset press printing a large solid with no second hit screen.

The same color break downs used on a cover with some solid areas broken up by photos/text looks great.

So, am I being too critical or am I missing something? Anyone have any tricks for making this look smoother across the page? I've played a little with blanket cylinder temperature as a tech told me that can have a lot of impact on screens and a First Transfer Calibration as we were nearing 3,000 impressions on our blanket. Neither made any noticeable difference.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

THB

This is common on the indigo and pretty much any digital press. The 5500 will be minimized by the higher resolution the 5500 has. You can try changing the screen angles to help reduce the banding but I doubt you will be able to get rid of it. Your operator should be able to do this on the indigo. Try exchanging the Cyan screen with the Black and the Yellow with the Magenta. See if it gets better or worse. Another choice would be to change the type of dot. A round may work better then an elliptical or ecledeon dot.

Greetings,

If you have consistent lines throughout the image area, you probably have banding. For this, try making the color build in photoshop and add some noise.

Also, try printing at 144 line screen. (Sequin)

If you have streaking running the 12" direction you may need a new PIP (plate) as the charge isn't even. Every streak has it's reason, and you can identify each by their location, direction and look. Your HP phone service rep can walk you through it, but a new PIP and maybe blanket is where I would start. This is the most difficult thing to print. Pretty color is easier.

good luck,

Marko de Flandero

Last edited:
Remove and clean the scortrons (where the three corona wires lay) Each scortron has two grids that cover the corona wires. Use alcohol and a lint free rag to clean each of the two grids on each scortron. Try advancing the corona wire a foot or so. This will clean some of the mess up. PIP and blanket will also help as mentioned above. I am only a back up and my Indigo operator is on vacation this week. I believe there are some brushes that need to be cleaned as well to help clean up some of this mess. Remember in spite of it the resolution of the indigo is still around 1200 dpi so banding will be an issue on screen gradients. Wish we used or knew how to do stochastic for I feel this would hide some of the banding as well.

Remove and clean the scortrons (where the three corona wires lay) Each scortron has two grids that cover the corona wires. Use alcohol and a lint free rag to clean each of the two grids on each scortron. Try advancing the corona wire a foot or so. This will clean some of the mess up. PIP and blanket will also help as mentioned above. I am only a back up and my Indigo operator is on vacation this week. I believe there are some brushes that need to be cleaned as well to help clean up some of this mess. Remember in spite of it the resolution of the indigo is still around 1200 dpi so banding will be an issue on screen gradients. Wish we used or knew how to do stochastic for I feel this would hide some of the banding as well.

Aye Carbon Brushes, 2 on the PIP & 2 on the ITM. You access one set from the front of the machine and the other from the back.

In my humble opinion the Indigo is a gawdwaful piece of garbage. If you bought an Indigo, you've been had. Mark my words: you are probably looking at certain financial ruin, unless your company is already robust and really doesn't need the Indigo to pay for itself. Otherwise, it will surely suck you dry.

That's a bold statement without any facts or commentary to back it up...Why do you feel that way?

In my humble opinion the Indigo is a gawdwaful piece of garbage. If you bought an Indigo, you've been had. Mark my words: you are probably looking at certain financial ruin, unless your company is already robust and really doesn't need the Indigo to pay for itself. Otherwise, it will surely suck you dry.

wow 3000 impressions on a blanket and having screen issues already. I would be constantly fixing my press at that rate. the good news is looks like some others have seen these issues too. and have given much good advice.

that is a very huge statement. in my oppinion, the indigo is by far the best colour digital device out there. i can easily get strong solids and screens, it's all about knowing how to use it propperly, which comes in time.

anyway, get a tech in and have them look at it, as with any real press, it takes time to iron out all the little things.

We were loaned a new Xerox 6060 copier and were given unlimited clicks for 6 months. This was done because we were looking at buying our second Indigo and Xerox felt we would be more impressed with it then the Indigo. Indigo blew it off the face of the earth. Can a Xerox type copier print where an experienced offset operator cant tell which sheet was copier and what sheet was offset? Streaking in the solids, enough static electricity to light up New York, Impossible to finish without nasty cracking We could not get rid of the 6060 fast enough. One of our customers bought a nexpress and started doing some variable pieces we used to run on our indigo. They wanted us to score and fold them for them. Here again the static was nasty, the solids streaked real bad and it was impossible for us to do a tight fold without cracking even with scoring it. Click costs have come way down on Indigo. We are around 2 cents per click (4 color click is 8 cents). Companies that purchase an indigo to replace a small volume copier are doomed. If you are a printer that specialize in 1 to 1000 copies or into a totally variable market you will do well with the indigo. We are currently doing an 80000 post card mailing for a design firm and we were sought out because of the indigo. This will be a 20K run two sided 4/4 variable piece.

Operating costs of an Indigo are high but a good operator makes all the difference. That and that fact that the correct machine is in the correct business. We run a SM52 and an Indigo 5500. There are not many people that can compete with us for quality and turn time on runs under 10K

I just produced a similar tab cut folder project on an Indigo 3050. The tabs and cover were a dark forest green printing on a Classic Crest cover. The coverage and uniformity were excellent. The customer was thrilled. The gloss cover may be harder to print a smooth screen, but the Classic Crest was successful. They really go through blankets on that press, but so what, it's part of the paid consumables. Does anyone have an idea what a blanket costs for an Indigo?

I think that you will optimize your process and print a uniform screen that you like.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back