Indigo purchase questions

amccolor

Hi all,

We are a commercial printer that is strongly looking at adding digital printing capabilites. We are looking for true offset quality, so we are leaning towards the Indigo 5500.

I have seen multiple used 5500's on the market at competitive prices, but I have seen messages on this forum that HP will not support the Indigos unless you buy them direct from HP. I am also hearing the same from my HP rep. Has anyone bought a used Indigo and have any direct experience with this?

Also, in trying to get a good deal, I am trying to negotiate on the click charge and my rep has told me that he has leeway on the price of the equipment but the click charges are set in stone for the Indigo. Is this true or just some salesmanship? I seem to think it is the latter.

Thanks for your info.

Anton Cheng
[email protected]

I can put you in touch with a printer who just installed a used indigo purchased from another printer. Maybe they can give you some advice and answers. Contact me off forum.

Happyprinter,
can you send me the information of the printer that bought the Indigo as well, we are looking at a used Indigo 5000 and keep hearing the same thing.
thank you

armando_at_atinta_dot_com

I agree that Paul Caruso is a great resource.....I also recommend J.J. Bender for used equipment...800 367 9673. When dealing with HP or Xerox, remember everything is negotiable. I would look to a 5500 which has a better service/click model but if you want to print 4 up 6 x 9 you will want to go to the 7000. Another option would be to look at the RICOH PRO C 900 which may fit your needs at a much lower cost. (I have owned Hp 1000 and now have a Hp 5000 and am looking to upgrade due to high service model and click cost)

Got Indigo questions? Talk to this guy before you buy: USED HP INDIGO Digital Press for sale, Heidelberg Digital Press,Ryobi DI for sale, Grand Format Presses FOR SALE

He is a veritable fountain–no, make that–cornucopia–no, better yet–PANDORA'S BOX–of useful information!

Thank you for the contact info. I spoke with him yesterday and he was definitely a fountain of knowledge.

He advised to not put the used Indigos on a service contract through HP. He said that he has two people capable of providing service and if absolutely necessary, HP would service the machine at $225 per hour plus parts.

Also, he advised buying all consumables a la carte from HP. There would be no click charge, but you would have to buy your own ink, blankets, etc...

What worries me would be if big parts went down (like a laser). I know that it would not be likely, but I am sure "major" parts have required replacements on indigos before. Are people actually running Indigos without service contracts with HP? Is it a sound idea? Seems very risky to me.

Thank you,
Anton Cheng
AMC Colorgrafix
[email protected]

I've heard bad stories with JJ Bender. There prices are pretty high too.

I agree that Paul Caruso is a great resource.....I also recommend J.J. Bender for used equipment...800 367 9673. When dealing with HP or Xerox, remember everything is negotiable. I would look to a 5500 which has a better service/click model but if you want to print 4 up 6 x 9 you will want to go to the 7000. Another option would be to look at the RICOH PRO C 900 which may fit your needs at a much lower cost. (I have owned Hp 1000 and now have a Hp 5000 and am looking to upgrade due to high service model and click cost)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back