indigo security printing

giovgreg

i have a client that prints a "VOID" dsecurity code on the back of a coupon. The 'VOID" is unreadable unless it is photocopied. We have tried to use this "art " and print on the Indigo however we can read the "VOID" when we print. Any suggestions?
We contacted hP but they did not have a lot of useful input.

the "VOID" is a security feature called a pantograph. The technology works by tricking your eye into not knowing it is there. This is done by hiding the "VOID" in an array of dots, which requires understanding the dot gain on your equipment. Most of the "VOID" technologies are patented. Feel free to call, I may be able to help or connect you to someone who can. 814-239-8787 x 1181

I think the word "VOID" printed is just an optical illusion. If you take a check, and you really focus on it, you can read "VOID" on it. It usually pops up when you make a copy of it because of the scanning process.

A pantograph works by having a background image with a "hidden" word inside it. This is accomplished by the background and word being two different line screens, for example one being 150 lpi and one being 133 lpi. A copier will see the higher line screen as denser, and will output it as a solid even though on the original it appears to be the same as the background. I have never seen a pantograph accurately printed on any digital equipment as they cannot produce a line screen that high. I'm not sure if it would work on an Indigo, but you can give it a try. Google "void pantograph", there are several companies that sell the software or already made files. Making one yourself is possible, but not easy. I would email several companies and see if they will send you a file to test. If they are hesitant, ask them to send you a file with their company name, after all, it would be worthless to you except for the test.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back