Indigo Training

svharter

Does anyone have any experience with file setup & working with the front end software for an Indigo.
We're trying to make a decision on who should be trained for the prepress part of the workflow.
Do I need someone with prepress experience to run this workflow or can I take someone with a basic knowledge of digital printing and Illustrator and send them to HP's training program.
Any thoughts or comments from someone with experience on this equipment would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

Scott,
I have been managing and doing that job for several years. Here's my take on it:
1- ALWAYS find the smartest person available.
2- ASK for volunteers. Some people may be interested and enthusiastic, others will be obstructionists. You want someone open to constant technological change. It's a personality type, more than a skill set. You're better off training someone fresh out of school who is interested, than someone who feels like they "have to" do this.
3- ALLOW the person time to experiment and screw up. A third of their time should be spent learnng, developing, testing ideas, fixing mistakes, etc. Plan it.
4- This is not a simple job, although it appears that way on the surface. Compensate accordingly.
5- The best person is someone who knows a little about prepress, systems (Windows, Macs, etc.) and has a high level proficiency in excel, or better yet, Access or some other database management software.

If either of the people you're considering is like this, take them. As I said, it's more of a personality type than a skill set. The more prepress experience, the better, all things being equal. Many of the challenges on the HP rips are similar to prepress challenges, so if you have a troubleshooter, that's going to go a LONG way. Good luck, tell us how it goes.

Jeff Lazerus
http://www.jefflazerus.com/blog
jeffATjefflazerus.com

Jeff thanks for the feedback, I agree personality and attitude are a big part of it.
I just want to make sure we don't place someone in a position where they feel like their in over their head.

Thanks again

Scott

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back