Initial Branding / Logo Creation Discussion + Primary Uses of Adobe Products

PricelineNegotiator

Hey all,

This is going to be a catch all thread for the two topics posted above. I do believe they go hand in hand, so I didn't want to split them up into separate topics.

To start off, we are a commercial printer that houses multiple two and single color presses, full digital services, along with full bindery and some growing wide format services. Our town is smaller, but there are a lot of printers around. We differentiate ourselves with our customer services, industry knowledge, and high quality. Our pricing is pretty good, too. Recently, we received a job from a long standing client, who had their branding redone by a sign shop that is pretty well renowned in the area. We send some jobs their way that we can't do here, and they always come out amazing. However, this client of mine send over their new letterhead file, that was an Illustrator file, which had multiple boards, of their logos and business cards, all coded in RGB. The client asked us to print their letterhead but also needed some revisions. Along with the letterhead file was a brand outline of the client, which spec'd the RGB and CMYK values, but was missing any spot colors. Keep in mind, we have been doing printing for this client for about 5 years, previously they had a two color logo that was made very well. The new file was four separate colors, a dark blue, a light blue, a brown, and an orange. The first thing that went through my mind was "Wow, all of his prices are going to skyrocket, and we can only run his jobs in 4 color process now." Apparently the designers at the sign shop never bothered to outline the spot colors for the job, let alone keep the clients expectations in line and keep it to only 2 colors, maximum 3 if the client is willing to throw money at their image for shits and giggles. I know the rebranding was NOT cheap for this client either.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I see some huge issues with what has happened with my client:

They went from a 2 spot color logo to a 4 "spot" color logo. All designers I have talked to keep it to two, with an absolute maximum being 3, and even that color is usually black.
The letterhead and business cards were set up in Illustrator. This is a big no no in my book. InDesign is for layout, Illustrator for line art and logo creation, and Photoshop for image manipulation.
The logo, letterhead, business card and some other things were all crammed in one file. Who the hell does this?
Spot colors were not picked out until AFTER the complete branding and identity were completed, which the PANTONE book should be the very first guide for color as it serves as a reference for the colors, not CMYK or RGB as they view differently on almost every device.

Tell me I am not crazy, because this is the second customer of mine they have totally botched the branding for, and I am about to go to the owner of the sign shop and try to communicate these issues. All of this isn't to say the work that was done was bad, it just lacked successful file, color and client management.

We do litho and wide format work. The wide format files make my skin crawl. Sign shops often work primarily in Illustrator. It's been that way for a long time and doesn't seem likely to change. We get stuff like 4 versions of a banner all on separate layers in one single illustrator file, 20+ spot colors in one file etc. And your sign shop who is doing design work probably doesn't understand anything about printing with spot colors anyway. They covert everything for their inkjets. In their world printing 2 colors is the same as process or 20 spot colors. They probably don't even realize they did your client a disservice.

As for the pantone book being the place to start branding . . . I'm not sure I agree. If you plan to print all the collateral in process, the pantone book would be a terrible place to start. A healthy percentage of those colors are not in the CMYK color gamut. The exact opposite is true if you're printing spot colors, but it doesn't sound to me like that's what your client wants (or what they got, who knows what they asked for).

We do litho and wide format work. The wide format files make my skin crawl. Sign shops often work primarily in Illustrator. It's been that way for a long time and doesn't seem likely to change. We get stuff like 4 versions of a banner all on separate layers in one single illustrator file, 20+ spot colors in one file etc. And your sign shop who is doing design work probably doesn't understand anything about printing with spot colors anyway. They covert everything for their inkjets. In their world printing 2 colors is the same as process or 20 spot colors. They probably don't even realize they did your client a disservice.

Agreed. I think the last sentence is the key part.

As for the pantone book being the place to start branding . . . I'm not sure I agree. If you plan to print all the collateral in process, the pantone book would be a terrible place to start. A healthy percentage of those colors are not in the CMYK color gamut. The exact opposite is true if you're printing spot colors, but it doesn't sound to me like that's what your client wants (or what they got, who knows what they asked for).

Almost all of their collateral items are being spot printed on two color presses on uncoated stocks. The business cards, some appointment pads, and comment slips are being printed process or digitally. I'm well aware of what in the PANTONE book is within the CMYK spectrum, but I guess what I was really trying to get at was using a reference which the customer and designer could view and know what they are going to get. It's a pretty high end client and we have been 10+ items that we printed in a 2 spot colors that were outside the CMYK range (Warm Red and Cool Grey 7).

Boy . .. where do I start with this one . . .

All I can say is that you need to take a good look at the artwork and see what will work best for your workflow. It's not your fault that your customer chose the sign shop to do their rebranding and you should be able to have a discussion with the client about the issues with the files leading to the additional costs. Wide format shops do not concern themselves with spot colors or 57 different colors in a file since they just run it to their Grand format printer with 7 ink colors to give them the excellent gamut (sarcasm intended) . . . not a problem.

But let me relate a story about the same type of situation. An architect that we have been printing for many years went to a design company for their rebranding package. The design company charged them about 17,000 dollars for the work. (Waste of money imho) What they got was a 7 color logo spec, 4cp and 3 spot colors . . . humm we looked at the file and said "they are not going to like this estimate" (also the design company was offering to supply the newly designed stationary package) . . . we then took a second economical look at the files and said . . wait a minute - I can do this in two colors . . it involved a couple of screen tints but in the end you couldn't tell the difference.

We went to our contact with the company and explained the issues. In the end we ended up doing the two color work they loved the look and the price - dumped the design company and have started using us completely since they now understand that we have their bottom line in mind for the work that they do with us.

Start a dialog with them, and if they are determined to go the way the sign shop designed it give them what they want but charge them for it - but give them a less expensive option that gives them the same look and feel.

Remember in this day and age we are supposed to "partner" with our customers to give them the biggest bang for their buck - I have never in 45 years in this business found a person who didn't like saving money. . . . .:)

It does not matter if the logo designer works in a sign company - what the "designers" did was simply unprofessional. Logos should be designed to be output agnostic i.e. they need to be reproducible in B&W (e.g. Telephone directory) and color (RGB (for web), CMYK (for magazines) and where appropriate in spot color (for stationary/packaging etc) or the logo should be available in multiple formats optimized for output for different media.

I have no issue with the artwork being provided in Illustrator files (although I don't like them all in one file like that.) It is harder to do business cards in Illustrator (if you have more than a couple names), but doing a letterhead in Illy is no big deal - it's usually just a logo and a couple lines of type.

I have no issue with the artwork being provided in Illustrator files (although I don't like them all in one file like that.) It is harder to do business cards in Illustrator (if you have more than a couple names), but doing a letterhead in Illy is no big deal - it's usually just a logo and a couple lines of type.

Right, but which program do you default to when creating letterhead or a business card?

Nine times out of 10 I go straight to InDesign . . IMHO Illy is an illustration program and it stops there.

I do the exact same thing. 99% of what I do can all be done in Indesign. If I get a vector file from a customer, then obviously I make any adjustments I might need to in Illustrator.

I am so used to Indesign that I cannot imagine designing and laying out a job in anything but Indesign. Illustrator or Photoshop just feel like headaches trying to make it work the way I want to when compared to Indesign.

Hey all,

This is going to be a catch all thread for the two topics posted above. I do believe they go hand in hand, so I didn't want to split them up into separate topics.

To start off, we are a commercial printer that houses multiple two and single color presses, full digital services, along with full bindery and some growing wide format services. Our town is smaller, but there are a lot of printers around. We differentiate ourselves with our customer services, industry knowledge, and high quality. Our pricing is pretty good, too. Recently, we received a job from a long standing client, who had their branding redone by a sign shop that is pretty well renowned in the area. We send some jobs their way that we can't do here, and they always come out amazing. However, this client of mine send over their new letterhead file, that was an Illustrator file, which had multiple boards, of their logos and business cards, all coded in RGB. The client asked us to print their letterhead but also needed some revisions. Along with the letterhead file was a brand outline of the client, which spec'd the RGB and CMYK values, but was missing any spot colors. Keep in mind, we have been doing printing for this client for about 5 years, previously they had a two color logo that was made very well. The new file was four separate colors, a dark blue, a light blue, a brown, and an orange. The first thing that went through my mind was "Wow, all of his prices are going to skyrocket, and we can only run his jobs in 4 color process now." Apparently the designers at the sign shop never bothered to outline the spot colors for the job, let alone keep the clients expectations in line and keep it to only 2 colors, maximum 3 if the client is willing to throw money at their image for shits and giggles. I know the rebranding was NOT cheap for this client either.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I see some huge issues with what has happened with my client:

They went from a 2 spot color logo to a 4 "spot" color logo. All designers I have talked to keep it to two, with an absolute maximum being 3, and even that color is usually black.
The letterhead and business cards were set up in Illustrator. This is a big no no in my book. InDesign is for layout, Illustrator for line art and logo creation, and Photoshop for image manipulation.
The logo, letterhead, business card and some other things were all crammed in one file. Who the hell does this?
Spot colors were not picked out until AFTER the complete branding and identity were completed, which the PANTONE book should be the very first guide for color as it serves as a reference for the colors, not CMYK or RGB as they view differently on almost every device.

Tell me I am not crazy, because this is the second customer of mine they have totally botched the branding for, and I am about to go to the owner of the sign shop and try to communicate these issues. All of this isn't to say the work that was done was bad, it just lacked successful file, color and client management.

Speaking as a designer. Your loyalty here is with the client who had the rebrand work done. I would contact them before doing any printing and letting them know of your concerns and the issues with the Style Guide and files provided. If the designer is worth their salt, your client will pass these concerns on and the designer should sort them out. at this stage if your client is still happy with a 4 colour process then at least you'll have the correct files to use.

it would also cover your backside if things go pear shaped with the printing. Speaking as a printer, designers first step when something goes wrong is to always blame the printer, then look at their files to see what happened.
Your client will only appreciate anything you say in this situation.

Hey all,

in regards to the Adobe situation

INDESIGN for any typesetting, document layout etc
ILLUSTRATOR for vector work
PHOTOSHOP for Raster work and photo manipulation

you can create print files in all of these and i know designers who do and create perfectly print ready files, but for ease of creation i wouldn't create a business card or flyer in anything other than indesign, i would create a logo in illustrator and i would illustrate in photoshop. (photoshop files and illustrator vectors would be then thrown into indesign to create the stationery or whatever was needed)

I'd be inclined to agree with this. I used to always start work on new branding jobs with Pantone uncoated spots, but more recently I'm starting in RGB. I wouldn't recommend that for a designer who can't instinctively stay more-or-less within the gamut of CMYK, spot uncoated etc, though. And obviously (well, it ought to be), once the design is approved, you need to create different versions of the logo for different uses, using colour managed conversions.

It sounds like this sign shop just outright shouldn’t be taking on branding projects. They simply aren’t qualified. Still, I’ve seen much worse, most often from fly-by-night web ‘designers’, and I imagine we all have. I’ve had great fun playing with Photoshop spot channels to get awful every-Photoshop-trick-in-the-book logos onto 2 spots plates to match previous letterhead prices, after the client’s nephew had his crayons out.

Ok . . . I need to chime in again on this . .. We had a customer/"Designer' come in a couple of weeks ago telling us how she had to duplicate a logo for a picky this customer was and how hard she tried to please her but oh so picky . . . a few day ago she came in with the file and a copy of the old letterhead . . . Wrong font, Wrong placement, and no idea about what color it should be . . . well we fixed the file, right fonts, right placement and colors that we could figure out what they were . . . got the comments back in yesterday . . . rather vague on the positioning but what got me laughing was that we had to change the colors to . .. no black, navy blue and a lighter blue . . . .WHAT?????

I thought that in design 101 they taught the way to communicate color was with #ers, either pantone or CMYK values . . . oh well just another chargeable fix . . . . but made me wonder what these people know and how do they sell any work?????

End of rant.

Ok . . . I need to chime in again on this . .. We had a customer/"Designer' come in a couple of weeks ago telling us how she had to duplicate a logo for a picky this customer was and how hard she tried to please her but oh so picky . . . a few day ago she came in with the file and a copy of the old letterhead . . . Wrong font, Wrong placement, and no idea about what color it should be . . . well we fixed the file, right fonts, right placement and colors that we could figure out what they were . . . got the comments back in yesterday . . . rather vague on the positioning but what got me laughing was that we had to change the colors to . .. no black, navy blue and a lighter blue . . . .WHAT?????

I thought that in design 101 they taught the way to communicate color was with #ers, either pantone or CMYK values . . . oh well just another chargeable fix . . . . but made me wonder what these people know and how do they sell any work?????

End of rant.

It's called standard distribution. Some of the designers have to fall in the tail end of the bell curve, or else life would be boring.

Speaking from a designer's perspective, who knows what the dialogue that took place between the client and designer was. Maybe the client wanted the four spot color, but the designer should have considered all the possible output formats. It's a great practice to start with a single color logo, then add a second color, then a third...

As for the Adobe software preference, I have discovered when creating flatwork Illustrator and Indesign are basically the same program. Yes, sure Illustrator is better suited for vectors, logo and illustrating, while Indesign is more dedicated to longer, type-heavy documents. Both program have the exact same character and paragraph panels, they basically place images the same way and both are perfectly fine for creating business cards and letterhead. It a matter of personal preference. I would actually give Illustrator the advantage business it has better options for customizing the type, and more fill color/gradient and style options.

Either way, printers and designers will always pass the blame to the other--it makes for a more enjoyable happy hour when Friday comes along!

Cheers!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back