Ink Building up on Water Pan Roller

cheetoh

I am having a Problem recently that I can't figure out, About 4 weeks ago, I put new water pan rollers in the Press, Every Since I have had a problem with ink building up on the pan rollers. This is on a 6 Color Heidelberg C.D. 40" The Chrome rollers are in good shape and don't seem to be carrying any ink, What could be causing this? I clean them and within a job the ink has built up alot again. Any suggestions?

What sort of rollers are you using? We have noted that a pan roller that has a visibile 'grain' to the rubber tends to pick up a lot of ink (not sure how else to describe that). Figure it has something to do with that grainy surface picking up overemulsified ink from the plate/ink train. We also linked it to the setting between the pan roller and chrome/ceramic being too light. More pressure seems to 'squeegee' off that ink build up (not harder than the manufacturer recommended, of course).

Hope you solve it soon.

have you tried to desensitize your chrome roller? at the end of the shift try draining the water out of the pan and then cleaning off the chrome roller with a cotton pad with some sort of plate cleaner. After a good cleaning with plate cleaner use some A.G.E. to coat the chrome roller and allow it to dry overnight. This may take a couple of applications to fully desensitize the chrome and then a weekly cleaning just like this to keep it nice and hydrophilic.

Running Bottcher water pan rollers, been desensitizing the Chrome Roller daily. Checked all settings and everything is Ok, Doing it on all units, But the weird thing is on the Cyan only doing it on 1/2 the roller, Overall on the rest of the units. That's what made me think it may be a roller setting, So I checked the settings in the Cyan unit and everything was good.....

If I understand correctly, you replaced all of your pan rollers at the same time and now you have this issue. Did you replace with the same rubber as before or are you trying something different. Do you have any of the old rollers around that you could put one back in the press to see if the problem goes away. Maybe a bad batch!

Sounds to me like the Water Pan Roller Crown is not centered. Or as someone else noted maybe finished incorectly. I.e Smooth on one side to center and rough on the other. Use your glass and see if you can tell.

One of the prevoius suggetions to put back an old roller is a good idea if you still have them. Further to this, see if you can get Boettcher involved directly. The half inked up roller might be as previously suggested a manufacturing defect.

We no longer have the Old Rollers, It will take an act from Congress to get Bottcher involved, but I probably need to try.......

I am assuming that you replaced all 6 units at once, or just some bad ones. If any unit is better overall try swapping them and see if the problem gets better for the swapped unit. Sounds like someting in the rubber since you had no issues before. As previously stated treatiing the chromes usually works. I don't know if you have tried to clean the rubber pan roller with a quick drying cleaner like naphta. Don't use a rubber rejuvenator type of cleaner as or make destroy the roller completely. Try and get Boettcher to send you a new one to try.

have you tried to desensitize your chrome roller? at the end of the shift try draining the water out of the pan and then cleaning off the chrome roller with a cotton pad with some sort of plate cleaner. After a good cleaning with plate cleaner use some A.G.E. to coat the chrome roller and allow it to dry overnight. This may take a couple of applications to fully desensitize the chrome and then a weekly cleaning just like this to keep it nice and hydrophilic.

Desensitize the roller was my first thought when I read the thread headline.

Try this simple remedy, Drain out the font solution. Take some synthetic vinegar (non fruit vinegar) in a cloth and give your chrome roller a good old fashioned rub. The run the press like normal !!

Build up on rollers

Build up on rollers

Could be a temperature problem, something is set to hard?

We were having the same issue on our XL 105 and we had Heidelberg service come in and take a look as we tried everything and couldn't figure out what was causing the problem. We had switched to Rotodyne rollers and Heidelberg suggested that we go back to their water pan rollers which I ended up doing and this actually did handle the problem. Unfortunately their rollers are a lot more expensive than Rotodyne's are.

Have you conveyed to Rotodyne the fact that the problem occurs with their roller, but not with Heidelberg's? If so, what was their response? If not, you should let them know. They should somehow make it up to you for all your trouble. Please let us know the outcome.

Al

Well over the weekend I Drained the water tank and ran some Prisco Royal Flush through the system, Then on Monday when I brought it back up I cleaned the little filter in the pickup of the tube that goes into the etch, it seems like it wasn't dosing quite right, So far this week things are alot better!! Hopefully this has taken care of my problem, One quick question though, How often should the water system be flushed out?? And if using White Vinegar, How much Vinegar would you use per gallon of water?

Hi Al, I did bring it up with Rototdyne and they said that I could have gotten a similar roller to Heidelberg's Lototech roller and that "of course Heidelberg would tell me I need to use their rollers", etc etc. I am very well aware of Heidelberg pushing their consumables, rollers, etc however in this case I definitely noticed an immediate improvement once we switched rollers.

Best, Jud

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back