Ink consumption

aqazi81

Is there any relation between humidity in the pressroom and ink consumption?
Does the moisture level of the paper board has any effect on ink consumption?

I don't know about ink consumption, but too high a humidity level can interfere with the ink/water balance. Too low a humidity will increase static problems.

Too high a humidity level does affect ink/water balance....it increases the emulsification. That excess emulsification may require running a thicker film to achieve same apparent results, so corresponding increase in ink consumption.

As for humidity of the paper board itself, it ultimately comes down to the paper itself - two papers with similar moistures will still absorb ink differently based on their porosity and surface. So, I would tend to say that the paper moisture does not have a direct correlation to ink consumption

Any thoughts on Concentric screening and ink usage reduction????? Is this a farce or real? Printing straight UV 250 LPI concentric Personally I think they have no idea why there are printing concentric on metal, thought it was greatest and latest and went with it. The dots don't even look concentric, look like ragged am. Please someone with sense make sense of this for me.

Any thoughts on Concentric screening and ink usage reduction????? Is this a farce or real? Printing straight UV 250 LPI concentric Personally I think they have no idea why there are printing concentric on metal, thought it was greatest and latest and went with it. The dots don't even look concentric, look like ragged am. Please someone with sense make sense of this for me.

Using concentric at lpi will result in a reduction in ink usage that's in line with high lpi and FM screening. See this link for my analysis of this flavor of screening:
The Print Guide: Esko Concentric screening - some observations

Thanks Gordo, do you have an opinion on the selection of 250lpi for printing on metal. Its not art, it's ordinary Print at best. I don't see the need except to say "hey we print concentric" without reading lab values without using spectral anything. Visual approval on most by comparison with standards that have no lab values or readings. Going for the Standardization of the Process, G7 professional, LSS Black Belt yadayda. Old school company that has really bloomed and grew. Control of the process's is critical for training and understanding.... ???

Thanks Gordo, do you have an opinion on the selection of 250lpi for printing on metal. Its not art, it's ordinary Print at best.[snip]

As far as I'm concerned, unless there's a technical requirement for printing an AM/XM type screen it would be better to go with FM - especially over 200 lpi.

Concentric Screening

Concentric Screening

As far as I'm concerned, unless there's a technical requirement for printing an AM/XM type screen it would be better to go with FM - especially over 200 lpi.

I have experience with Stochastic and actually was surprised of how well the print looked. Problem there is if your color management process control is not standardized you will experience many issues with color matching. Big proponent for G7 everywhere I am...

I have experience with Stochastic and actually was surprised of how well the print looked. Problem there is if your color management process control is not standardized you will experience many issues with color matching. Big proponent for G7 everywhere I am...

I'm not quite sure that I understand exactly what you mean.
So I'll just make a few comments.
To be successful with stochastic/FM you need to have you print production process under control. If you can reliably print 175 lpi then you should be able to print FM.
The gamut of FM screening (like very high AM (+300 lpi)) is larger than AM at 175 lpi. Single channel FM hues do not track the same as AM screens through the Lab color space from 100% to 0%. What that means is that single color and two color screen tint builds will not have the same hue as the same screen tint builds using a 175 lpi AM screen. The difference is usually only seen when the area of flat color is larger than about 2" square and is directly visually compared or measured.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back