Ink limits vs. ink restrictions

jonkovach

Quick question.... if I'm through the entire profiling process, and I like the results, but it's laying down too much ink overall.... can I just go into the initial ink limits and knock them all back 10% or so? Will that give me the same results (or roughly there) with just less ink?

This is on an HP Designjet Z6100. I would imagine the same holds true for all wide format inkjets...

Jon

Re: Ink limits vs. ink restrictions

Hi Jon

The short answer to your question in no. If you've profiled a specific condition (printer, paper, resolution & ink limits), then changing your ink limits after the fact will invalidate the profile. The profile will no longer reflect how the printer will produce color. It is highly unlikely that it will give you the same results.

When you say "like the results" do you mean you like the color that is coming out, or that it is too heavy overall? If you feel that by using the profile you are getting "incorrect" color, then you should go back and try to figure out what went wrong. And then rebuild the profile from scratch. If you feel that the color is "correct", I guess the question is how can you tell it is laying down too much ink overall? Is it soaking through the paper or pooling and dripping? Either way, if you need to limit you inks further, you should do it before you profile, not after.

-Todd Shirley

Re: Ink limits vs. ink restrictions

I figured as much... I "like the results"... meaning, I like the color that is coming out, it's just a little too heavy. Not too bad, really. Not dripping or anything like that, but the paper gets a wave to it with the heavy saturation.

Back to the drawing board! Thanks...
Jon

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back