Ink take off screens

Steve Rich

has anyone used ink take off screens on a web press?
We are having problems with ink flying / misting and obstructing type which can not be allowed on the jobs we are running.
We are trying hard to control our ink and water ballance and it is quite tight, but probably the pressroom temperature and roller temperature is contributing to the problem however these
I can not control.
I used them many years ago at a previous company to stop ink spitting and flying on our web presses it was a screen of about 50% on the none image areas outside of the work area running around the plate. i think the theory of it was to to move the ink around the unit instead of having it build up in one spot.
Does anyone use this method ? Does it work?

Sorry about your problem Steve. Did you try to contact your ink sales rep yet? They might be able to help you by reformulating the ink to run better in your factories conditions.

has anyone used ink take off screens on a web press?
We are having problems with ink flying / misting and obstructing type which can not be allowed on the jobs we are running.
We are trying hard to control our ink and water ballance and it is quite tight, but probably the pressroom temperature and roller temperature is contributing to the problem however these
I can not control.
I used them many years ago at a previous company to stop ink spitting and flying on our web presses it was a screen of about 50% on the none image areas outside of the work area running around the plate. i think the theory of it was to to move the ink around the unit instead of having it build up in one spot.
Does anyone use this method ? Does it work?

Steve,

It might help a bit. They way I understand it is that by having take off patches the press is printing more ink onto the substrate and printing more ink is a bit easier to control than printing less ink for low coverage print. Having take off patches is a way to increase coverage, which is generally more controllable.

The basic problem you are having is with controlling the ink feed relative to the water feed. This is aggravated by conditions in your plant. Since you are in the Toronto area, these recent days of high humidity are probably making things tougher.

In looking at your web site, I noticed that you have narrow web presses with probably all units having the ink fountains on top.

You might be interested in an offer I made on the Lean Manufacturing forum here on Printplanet. Look up the thread on "An experiment in Lean". This might be of interest to you, since it is aimed at exactly the problem you are having.

Good luck.

Erik

I have used these many years ago, we called them Mouring/Moring bands back then, Roller cooling was a luxury and many presses never had this option so as a last measure we would put screens on the edges of the plates to help control ink/water. Havnt seen these used recently as most rollers are cooled now but they did serve a purpose. We used them mostly to get better ink/water control on the outside of the web

WE put mourning bands on all of our web work. It is a 40% screen outside of the trims. We run a Man Roland Rotoman press & the pressroom manager does like having them there whenever possible.

We do the same as couriergraphics.
Use a 40% screen of all colors in mourning bars on all our web presses, and we have Rotoman webs as well as two older Harris webs.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back