Inline Creasing on a Duplo 618 or similar.

mattprint

Hi All,

We mainly print A5 greeting cards (2 up on SRA3) and currently guillotine and separately. We were looking at getting a slitter cutter creaser for shorter run jobs but from what I can see these machines do not crease in the feed direction which would be a requirement for A5 greetings cuts which can only fit this way up on an SRA3+ sheet. I had my eye on a Duplo 618 which does have an optional rotary scoring module for inline creasing but this does not appear to give a very neat crease like the matrix channels used for the cross creasing.

Has anybody successfully used a slitter cutter creaser (Duplo or otherwise) with a reliable inbuilt inline creasing mechanism?

I did stumble upon a Youtube video (
) showing a retrofit Technifold module added to a Duplo 616 but this does not appear to be widely available so would be interested if anybody has had any experience of this?

Many thanks
Matt

I have a 646 with the rotary module added. It works well, though I do prefer to use the crease module to the rotary module when possible. I feel like for a greeting card I might prefer to use the slit score wheel instead so it lays flat,

I have a 646 with the rotary module added. It works well, though I do prefer to use the crease module to the rotary module when possible. I feel like for a greeting card I might prefer to use the slit score wheel instead so it lays flat,

I haven't seen any results with the rotary module for scoring but I felt like with heavy stocks it is likely to be prone to cracking? Maybe the module is better than I envisaged.

This works really well. As its the same collar system as the technifold / crease streams. With the interchangeable rubber creasing.

Thats my 616 lol

I had the prototype from crease stream made.
Wow. That's a coincidence. I am new to this forum but I guess that proves that it is the go to place for anything print related. :) Can I ask if you are still pleased with it? And I wonder whether you have to remove the tool to do any other jobs on your 616 that doesn't use it? Many thanks

Last edited:
It's a great bit of kit. I use it for Funeral order of service sheets. As it can cut and crease in one pass rather than running the job again.

Im sure a phone call to technifold and they can advise you on costs etc.

The tool itself is inside the perf add on tool. So it just unscrews when you don't need it

It's a great bit of kit. I use it for Funeral order of service sheets. As it can cut and crease in one pass rather than running the job again.

Im sure a phone call to technifold and they can advise you on costs etc.

The tool itself is inside the perf add on tool. So it just unscrews when you don't need it
Thank you. That is really helpful. When I first saw the video I wasn't sure whether the tooling was somehow fixed to the tail end of the machine 😂 but if sits within the perf module then that is great.

Last edited:
Thank you. That is really helpful. When I first saw the video I wasn't sure whether the tooling was somehow fixed to the tail end of the machine 😂 but if sits within the perf module then that is great.
I do believe its the only one ever made too haha

We print our folded cards on 12in x 18in sheets (example 10in x 7in folding to 5x7 full bleed).
Then we just cut them in half at 9in (using the guillotine cutter) and then use our Duplo 618 to full bleed and crease them using the creasing module.
They feed into the machine 9in side first.

5.5in x 8.5in folding to 4.25in x 5.5in sizes prints 4up on 12x18 and those just feed in normally without requiring the extra step.

We use this method for a lot of other things, like 2x8 or 2x6 bookmarks (since we can fit 10up/sheet if we cut in half first before running through Duplo 618).

We print our folded cards on 12in x 18in sheets (example 10in x 7in folding to 5x7 full bleed).
Then we just cut them in half at 9in (using the guillotine cutter) and then use our Duplo 618 to full bleed and crease them using the creasing module.
They feed into the machine 9in side first.

5.5in x 8.5in folding to 4.25in x 5.5in sizes prints 4up on 12x18 and those just feed in normally without requiring the extra step.

We use this method for a lot of other things, like 2x8 or 2x6 bookmarks (since we can fit 10up/sheet if we cut in half first before running through Duplo 618).
This is exactly the same way I do these on my 618. Larger quantities and I skip the Duplo and guillotine then crease on a Rollem that has Tri-Creasers.

I have the Duplo 618 and LOVE it. Have the rotary creaser and perf module, but hands down prefer the blade crease option. Have 3k (SRA3 down to A5 creased to A6) to run through it tomorrow, but as it's short edge feed the crease is going in the right direction. When I've used the rotary crease wheel it cracked, and depending on the pressure, at times nearly cut through the card. Sometimes I cut sheets to SRA4 to accommodate the blade crease. Once I've the set up done, it's plain sailing!

Reactions: DYP

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back