Inline perfing

Sfdp2300

Here is the set-up. 4/4 with spot varnish and perf.

Is there any problems that might arise perfing inline on the spot varnishing unit on the second pass?
This would be a long run maybe a couple of hundred thousand! 80# matte stock. Any key things to look for before any problems might arise would be helpful.

Thanks,

depending on how close the perf is to the varnish on the second pass, and depending on the method (if it's an inline litho-perf) you can get issues with dust particals and debris from the perf that stays on the blanket or cylinders that has a chance to stick to the varnish.

ive had this happen on a short run before.

Here is the set-up. 4/4 with spot varnish and perf.

Is there any problems that might arise perfing inline on the spot varnishing unit on the second pass?
This would be a long run maybe a couple of hundred thousand! 80# matte stock. Any key things to look for before any problems might arise would be helpful.

Thanks,

take a look at this web site we have a system simalar to this and i works really well. it does still affect wet ink and/or varnish but not near as bad.

Perf Print Plus (PPP) - perforating, die-cutting, slitting, scoring, spot varnishing printing

I agree with the PPP system. We used it for a job that was on 7 pt reply card, 4/4 perfected and the PPP system on our coating unit. It was a 500,000 run and had perfs and scores. This saved our company thousands of $$. Just set it up and run... but watch out for the static charge that builds up!:D

thanks for the feedback.
Can anyone give me an estimated price on this PPP system?
Also you said you used your coating unit. does it if a single BC or double BC. I was thinking of doing this on our coater unit even though it has a double sided BC . I would rather run the perf on a non print unit.

we run it on our heidelburg 102 in the first unit before it is printed due to perfecting jackets on all units but 1st and 2nd and it works well for us.
what kind of press are you running? you need to find out if it is avalible for your particular press

the perf could blunt which on a long run could result in several make-readies.if its litho perf? also on a long run if yourperfing into a blanket you may need to change the blanket too?

We have been perfing a lot with our sm102 640 perfectors lately, CP2000 machines with the Heidelberg perfect jackets on the last 4 impression cylinders and coating units. We set the perf rule carrier sheet up on the 1st unit impression cylinder(chrome, no jacket); change the blanket to an old one that can be sacrificed, dust with the 2nd unit and print with the last 4. We do see some residual paper build up on the last 4 units from the perf rule requiring a quick hit with the blanket auto washers every 3000 sheets or so. Other than that the print and coating are not affected. Most of our perf jobs print on 7pt to 12 pt stock. We measure and remove packing from the blanket on the perfing unit accordingly and we remove the anti-marking jacket from the#1 transfer. We’ve found when perfing thicker stock the anti marking jacket on the #1 transfer after the impression cylinder can get damaged from the perf rules.

The biggest issue we have is time it takes to set up the carrier sheet and the longevity of the Litho-Perf. Long runs need to be monitored closely because the Litho-Perf can and will eventually fail. Taking extra time to set up a nice carrier sheet makes a big difference but who has extra time nowadays. We try to set the carrier sheet up a few days in advance to save time. We’re pricing the Perf Print Plus system, looks like a good way to go.

Mike

FREEMAN A. GAIN can you tell me what press you ran this on and could i have some contact info to discuss this process in more detail...... thanks steve

Last edited:
We ran the PPP system on a KBA 105 Rapida, 8-colour perfecting with end coater. Unfortunately, I no longer have the info for this system. Most of my answers would be via memory, but would do my best. I am sure if you look on their website there would be a Q & A area. It was a really easy system for us to use and used it several times.
ATB,
Rob K.

thanks for the feedback.
Can anyone give me an estimated price on this PPP system?
Also you said you used your coating unit. does it if a single BC or double BC. I was thinking of doing this on our coater unit even though it has a double sided BC . I would rather run the perf on a non print unit.

For a 40" Press, the PPP runs about $3200. Please go to our PPP Page or the IOC Page
for more information.
Frank

sometimes the pressure required to print would result in too deep a perf that will show the perfs shoulder line too much. Ive also seen it the other way around. the pressure required to perf correctly results in poor printing. This is the very reason that if at all possible i like to keep the 2 operations on seperate printing units.

I am viewing this thread in threaded mode and your post appears as a response to the opening post. Your well placed concerns were already being addressed from the outset. Note that the original post is asking about potential problems when running the perf rules on the spot varnishing unit .

Regards,

Al

Try running the perf on the coating unit, that would be the common sense way to do it, I have done it this way many times, also using centre line litho perf is better.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back