INOTYPE HELL LINOTRONIC 330 rip 50 and XP

HI I am a traditional photographer and print maker I use large format film and new to the forum .
I added a INOTYPE HELL LINOTRONIC 330 rip 50 and XP to my workflow, however I am having trouble getting it to play nice!!
The gear :
Rip50
LINOTYPE HELL LINOTRONIC 330
Mac 9600/200 OS 9
Windows XP SP 3
my plan to use it for making negatives for doing my contact printing( Platinum/Palladium).
Thank you.

Gustavo Castilla
Ironworks the photographic work of Gustavo Castilla

I can not get the desktops to see the RIP ( one Mac running OS 9 and a wintel box with XP SP3)
It seems that I may need to find a way to get the IP from the rip and try that way TCP /IP it is my understanding that the IP is burned on to the Rip board , or do I need to make a cable tat goes from the printer port on the Mac to the Rip LocatTalk?

RIP 50 is Hardware RIP, very old to be supported by manufacturer.
In case of PRT (LPT) port you can't get RIP info back, just Ready/Busy signal.
In case of LocalTalk you need AT2L connecting box, not sure somebody still keeps that small out-of-date stuff.
For Ethernet connection via twisted pair you need a special 10/100T converter, otherwise you have to use coaxial cable.
You should see RIP50+330 as a network printer.
Not sure IP address is locked, but MAC address burned in and some label should be attached close ti LocalTalk connector at RIP.

you can change the ip address with some postscript code i think. but I cant find that info on the web anywhere. we sold our L330 years ago. It was a lot of work to get film out with the old rip then.

We have a Lino 330 W/Rip 50 that we have used for years with our Mac with no problems. As a matter of fact it still is one of the most reliable imagesetters we have ever used and we run several different kinds and sizes. I would be happy to let you speak to my Graphics dept. Just contact me off line and give me your px#.

If you can get it to see the printer on the RIP50 then you could update the PPD on your design computers and test output. If you can see the printer and have the latest Postscript Level 3 PPD then you should be able to print to the RIP50. If it accepts the file then you are probably ok without upgrading your RIP, but if it does not process the job then you may need to test a simpler job (drop a box on the page and try to print it). If this goes through then you have setup the shared printer correctly and your RIP may need to be upgraded if it cannot process the file. You can also try resaving older design files back to previous versions if your RIP is not processing them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back