Interesting Adobe change

kaiserwilhelm

About four years ago, we noticed that putting a bullet (•) into a line of text would cause the entire line of text to subset when it went to PDF. Even if we had the subsetting set to zero. Take the bullet out - voila, a complete font set.
We use that font set in the next set of software that we import the PDF into.
Yesterday, while testing a file made from CS6 vs CC 2015 (Indesign), I noticed that the CC (using the same fonts and file) created a full set, while the CS6 did not!
Adobe must have fixed this!!!
As much heck as I give them over Acrobat DC *(which they DESERVE), I will give them kudos when deserved as well. Thanks Adobe!

Why, Joe, it would seem that you and I should get a beer and commiserate over our shared experiences with Adobe! Let me start.....I have gone round and round about fonts going to hieroglyphics sometimes when the font has a ligature used.
I take it to my friends at Extensis - who ask for a download and a set of reports that gets generated. That seems to go to file 13 about a week later and they punt to Adobe. Adobe responds that it must be Extensis. Meanwhile, I have $50K in bad print due to this error. It happens about 1 out of every 100 pdfs....and there is NO rhyme or reason. Trust me. I follow the best practices on Fonts from Extensis like a dictator. My machines are clean and tidy.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back