Investment 2012 - DI, digital, inkjet, waterless?

Miro

Hello everyone,

first of all, sorry if this is a bad section of the forum for this thread, but I didn't really know where else to put it.

So we're planning to make some investments this year, going to Druppa to see what's new and find something for us. But we're actually quite confused which way to take. To describe shortly our printshop - we're a small company, 8 workers, we're a normal commercial printshop - offering wide range of services, printing for end clients mainly.

Our machines include: Xerox Nuvera EA144, Xerox 700, Mimaki JV33 + cutting plotter Mimaki CG 160FX II, Grafopress GPC Letterpress, 2 old 2colour sheetfed offset machines (B2 format) and 1 single colour offset. Postpress: Bourg Binder 3002 (perfect binding), Nagel saddle stich binding system, Heidelberg Stahlfolder Ti52, Sey 115 THink Cut cutter and few more smaller machines for foil stamping, wire binding etc.

We're doing well in segment of small runs, our machines are working well, our prices are good and we are competitive when it comes to digital in general. I can say the same when it comes to signmaking and large-format printing. (considering we're more focused on small to mid volumes)

What is a problem are mid-range runs. We are way too expensive there and also very slow. We don't intend to enter the segment of high-volume offset printing - we can't really compete with printshops having 8colour Heidelbergs and working non-stop. We rather cooperate these orders with a small margin.

So in a nutshell - We'd like to get rid of those old, not really 'user-friendly' offset machines. They're hard to handle, more or less just causing troubles and we're loosing money because of them. What should we get insted of them, to cover the mid-range volumes, to fasten our production and increase our quality?

Do you guys suggest just some newer, second-hand 4 colour offset, or something with DI? What about some smaller, A3+ waterless? Or is some Kodak inkjet a solution? Or some more high-end laser? It's hard to tell what will the market be like in next 5 years and we're struggling to make a good decision. We're settled in Central Europe - Czech Republic, so you guys are a bit ahead. Everything comes slightly later to us...

We really don't know if we should dismiss the offset production totally and go fully digital or do something else. I'll be very grateful for every thought you have regarding this matter. Thank you

Miro

Then find a good company that does what you want to do, review the equipment and chioces they have made and ask them what they would do differnetly... then take that and start there. But IMO, sometimes it is better to stay in the niche you are are in and remain profitable reather thatn expand and go under. There have been alot of companies I have seen go by 40" iron and go out of business making payment because someone under bid them.

Investment 2012-DI, digital, Inkjet, waterless?

Investment 2012-DI, digital, Inkjet, waterless?

Dear Miro
I had same question, I found the good information on all technologies and machines. Please visit

From Offset to Digital - July 2010

Regards
Malinda

Hello everyone,

first of all, sorry if this is a bad section of the forum for this thread, but I didn't really know where else to put it.

So we're planning to make some investments this year, going to Druppa to see what's new and find something for us. But we're actually quite confused which way to take. To describe shortly our printshop - we're a small company, 8 workers, we're a normal commercial printshop - offering wide range of services, printing for end clients mainly.

Our machines include: Xerox Nuvera EA144, Xerox 700, Mimaki JV33 + cutting plotter Mimaki CG 160FX II, Grafopress GPC Letterpress, 2 old 2colour sheetfed offset machines (B2 format) and 1 single colour offset. Postpress: Bourg Binder 3002 (perfect binding), Nagel saddle stich binding system, Heidelberg Stahlfolder Ti52, Sey 115 THink Cut cutter and few more smaller machines for foil stamping, wire binding etc.

We're doing well in segment of small runs, our machines are working well, our prices are good and we are competitive when it comes to digital in general. I can say the same when it comes to signmaking and large-format printing. (considering we're more focused on small to mid volumes)

What is a problem are mid-range runs. We are way too expensive there and also very slow. We don't intend to enter the segment of high-volume offset printing - we can't really compete with printshops having 8colour Heidelbergs and working non-stop. We rather cooperate these orders with a small margin.

So in a nutshell - We'd like to get rid of those old, not really 'user-friendly' offset machines. They're hard to handle, more or less just causing troubles and we're loosing money because of them. What should we get insted of them, to cover the mid-range volumes, to fasten our production and increase our quality?

Do you guys suggest just some newer, second-hand 4 colour offset, or something with DI? What about some smaller, A3+ waterless? Or is some Kodak inkjet a solution? Or some more high-end laser? It's hard to tell what will the market be like in next 5 years and we're struggling to make a good decision. We're settled in Central Europe - Czech Republic, so you guys are a bit ahead. Everything comes slightly later to us...

We really don't know if we should dismiss the offset production totally and go fully digital or do something else. I'll be very grateful for every thought you have regarding this matter. Thank you

Miro

Hi Miro

Maybe i am biased but i would definatly go for a DI press, very user freidly and with very high quality offset printing.
The you are able to get rid of your old offset and plate making equipment and get a press that gives you the ability to be competitive in short to medium runs.

Presstek/Ryobi/KBA karat 46: Alot of used machines in the market price vs. perfomance is great
Presstek 52DI: The "industrial" landscape version of the 34 cm press, hard to find used and too expensive

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back