Invisible Digital Watermark in images

gig0

This is new to me...

Got a call this morning asking if we can print invisible digital watermark. I need to get back to them later and am Googling my arse off. The problem is, I can't find a good printer resource explaining the specifics and variables involved in the printing process. I simply can't give an answer to something I don't completely understand.

My questions are, what exactly are the randomized markings a smart phone is seeing on a printed piece and can it be printed using typical 175 lpi screening or is it restricted to stochastic only? Are there any challenges to make it work such as critical registration or coverage or is it completely transparent in any offset/digital workflow?

Thanks!

are you talking about an item like a check or gift certificate or a photograph . . .

are you talking about an item like a check or gift certificate or a photograph . . .

If it's for printed images you could use an augmented reality app to embed information in an image that would be read by a smartphone. Rather than displaying marketing info it would display a watermark.
(There needs to be greater clarity on what the client wants to accomplish)

Last edited:
Your client needs to address the entire technology needed to create this type of product. That being the software and apps needed to create the invisible QR code or watermark as well as the app needed for a smartphone to read the embedded code. The video highlights a product licensed by Digimarc. You or your client's solution is to license the technology or find an alternative source.

Good luck.

heh, I was under the assumption they just supply a CMYK PDF and we output it. The question was relayed to me by a CSR so I'll see if I can talk to the source and get details. Seems interesting anyway.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back