Is 3-D Printing Ready For Life At Home?

prwhite

Administrator
Staff member
Do you remember the first thing you ever printed on a personal computer: a family newsletter, birthday card, signs? A program called The Print Shop made anyone a publisher. Here's an interesting Wall Street Journal article about 3-D printing for the masses.

Maybe they're not just for "printers" any longer. What's your take?

I don't think the majority of people realize the power of being able to print a 3d object - one excellent way of thinking about it is to not think about the machine as the last part in the process… in other words - if I need a metal bolt or doo-hicky that i can't find i can print a plastic one - use it to make a make a mould - cast a metal one with a little bit of know how - without the printer this would be next to impossible unless you are a master sculpture. When people start realizing what they can combine the results of the printer with I think it will start taking off.

I did some research into 3D printing and my conclusion was that there is a very limited market for 3D printing at home today. The technical requirements to produce a "printable" 3D object is not something that most people would understand. Think about this… it's more than just a 3D object you have to create. Because of the way the printers work, you also have to make the object structurally sound as it's being printed or it may fall over or collapse as it's being printed. Heaven forbid, most consumers just have a tough time creating a 2D page for print (as we all know) never less an object that has to withstand being built one layer at a time.

However, I do think there may be a market someday soon if companies start supplying ready made 3D models that just have to be downloaded and printed. Then when you need a part, or want to create a little toy or whatever, you wouldn't need to know much more than how to hit the "Print" command.

Also… one last observation on the "desktop" 3D market. There are a ton of cheap (<$2000) 3D printers available. Most from new start-ups. But, the biggest drawback to the cheaper models is the resolution of the printers. I would equate them to almost dot matrix like output and they are not able to produce very good detail. You need to spend $50K or more to really get into higher quality printers that produce something that is of acceptable quality for most things.

I do think this market will be reality someday… history says it will happen, however, I think most of the hype today for the consumer 3D market is just that… hype.

I think its a novelty for most at this stage, but the high end money will be with the ones that can "print" with different compounds, ie aluminium, polymer, im not even sure its purely related to the printing industry, but, If you have money to waste on one to trial and get in the game im sure its going to be a growth market for those who take it on and can understand it, the paper print market is on the decline thats for sure.

For some reason I just wish they wouldn't call it 'printing'. It is not in a true sense prrinting, but it sure is real technology that has infinite capabilties and shall only continue to grow.

D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back