Is Offset Printing Dying? - A Short Story

D Ink Man

In what year or decade do you figure this will happen?

Example: You go to your nearest international airport. You go to the newsstand to pick up a copy of let's say National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, Readers Digest and People magazines. Much to your astonishment, there is no newsstand, just a counter and shelves for mints and gums. Disappointed you walk to the waiting area to sit and wait for your flight time. You look around. There are no newspapers, books or any printed materials that resemble offset printing. People are squinting; reading their Kindles, tapping out on their laptops or staring out into space. You notice a man of the cloth walk up with a strange object in his hand. What is that you think to yourself? Finally you muster up enough courage to ask the clergyman. He slowly looks up and says this a book and the title of it is The Bible. You ask him why he needs it and he replies; I am praying for the existence of mankind. Only this book can help me do that for I am a poor man. On Sundays no one comes to the parish anymore. I have no church. They all practice their religions via electronic mediums. The clergyman whispers to you, 'God Bless You', and shuffles off into the crowd.

What year is this? Maybe the year 5555? Please see link friends.

In The Year 2525 /w Lyrics - YouTube

Thank you in advance for your well thought out replies.

Respectfully,
D Ink Man

In 1974 and 1988 we had this very conversation and both times we all felt like our jobs were on the line. Talks of the Internet and paperless offices and big screens placed strategucally on street corners where newspaper vendors use to sell newspapers. The magazine shops would just not exist and so on . . . However we are still printing, offset printing, to be correct. So to figure in what year or decade - I don't know!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back