Is Pitstop causing Acrobat X to crash all the time?

gumbylives

Hi,
We are running the latest CS 5.5 software. Acrobat 10.1.3 Mac OSX 10.6.8., Pitstop Pro 10 update 3. Acrobat crashes at least 3 times a day on both our machines.
Is this an OS and Acrobat or Pitstop bug? Has anyone else had the problem?
If so what was their solution.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Gumby

Is it possible you could send a mail to [email protected] with a description of the problem and the support information from the about panel of your pitstop version cut and pasted into it?.
They will then be able to give you some feedback. I am currently at drupa but I will give them a call/email and give them some background so they can get you a quick answer.

IMHO, I've found over time that all versions (From Acrobat 4 and early version's of Pitstop caused some strange incidents. To be fair most of the times it was older versions of the combo but sicking with newer versions of both products is much more stable. But let's not be all that nice as you can tell by the amount of updates both products produce every version that something is indeed going on. Although Acrobat has a lot of "Security" fixes it just seems to me and my co-workers that Acrobat has always been the weirdest product of the Adobe suite. Interface is a mess, shortcut's don't to seem closely related to other Adobe products, etc. etc. Don't even get me started with Enfocus. With all that said I can't live without either product, well I guess I wouldn't have a job if all products worked as advertised. For most of my year's I always thought most Mac's didn't have the horsepower (RAM) to run comfortably enough. Not the products fault. Font's cause most of the crashes and corrupt cache accounting for a little bit of the mess. Once you master Pitstop your prepress life feel's complete. I am by no mean's close to figuring it out but when it works it truly is a great product. I was using Pitstop 10 at my last job with the usual licensing issues popping up requiring a reinstall and at my new job (First time using it on a PC besides Server versions) also required a reinstall using version 9 of Acrobat and Pitstop. Acrobat didn't like the updates and Pitstop once again had a license issue. I believe both applications are processor intensive and if your computer hasn't go the oomph, update it. You never mentioned how much RAM you were using nor how powerful your machine is.
Like I said I love Pitstop when all is well but beware of the gremlins.

Last edited:
In PitStop Pro 11 (released begin may), we made already the needed adjustments to deal with the introduced changes in the Acrobat 10.1.3 update which were reported end of april.
Customers who want to use the Acrobat 10.1.3 update are hence advised to upgrade to the PitStop Pro 11 release in case they want to work with the latest Acrobat 10.1.3 update as PitStop Pro 11 solves these reported issues.

As a general recommendation, please send any issue you would still face with PitStop Pro 11 to [email protected] in order to let us investigate any remaining problem.

Leen - PitStop Product Manager

it just seems to me and my co-workers that Acrobat has always been the weirdest product of the Adobe suite. Interface is a mess, shortcut's don't to seem closely related to other Adobe products, etc. etc.

That is by design. Acrobat is designed and targetted for the Knowledge Worker and not for the designer. It may be part of the Creative Suite, but those same creatives are not the primary target. As such, we don't want the product to work like CS - we want it to work more like MSOffice.

That is by design. Acrobat is designed and targetted for the Knowledge Worker and not for the designer. It may be part of the Creative Suite, but those same creatives are not the primary target. As such, we don't want the product to work like CS - we want it to work more like MSOffice.

Really - because so many Prepress professionals LOVE to work with MSOffice products right?????
C'mon, you have to have a better answer than that!

I would like to make just 1 request for Acrobat, on the new version could you please change the location of all your tools AGAIN???
I love having to search for the tools on every update!!!!

If I recently bought a vehicle and there was a problem part, there would be a free recall. But you buy buggy software and you have to pay for an upgrade to fix something that is not working in the first place? It should be a free update/patch from Enfocus. I am still waiting for my email response from them.

Part of a suite and doesn't work like the rest of the CS suite? Oh my! Primary target are the Knowledge Worker, what? It's from the same Adobe "family" that you want to work like a MS product? Really? As long as i've been in prepress, commercial printing, not "quickie" printers that will work with all format's, have never really accepted MS products formats.
With the exception of software designers, when Adobe came up with the Creative Suite marketing concept/gimmick, the products eventually seemed to work alike, it took a lot of version's, again with the exception of Acrobat. Let's change interface's for the heck of it. Let's make all those tiny button's even smaller every version. Let's hide tools. Was someone an old Acrobat designer/engineer?

Really - because so many Prepress professionals LOVE to work with MSOffice products right?????

Prepress professionals are _NOT_ the target customer for Adobe Acrobat. While we certainly try to ensure that general PDF-related features are useful to that market, it is NOT our target customer base.

The VAST majority of Acrobat customers work in enterprise, government and regulated industries (law, pharma, etc.). It is THESE customers for whom our UI decisions are made.

Part of a suite and doesn't work like the rest of the CS suite? Oh my! Primary target are the Knowledge Worker, what? It's from the same Adobe "family" that you want to work like a MS product? Really?

While the Creative Suite sells quite well to creatives and others, INDIVIDUAL COPIES (or more specifically, site licenses) for the Acrobat product alone significantly outnumber that. So yes, while Acrobat happens to be part of the suite - it is really a stand-alone product that just happens to be in their box.

>As such, we don't want the product to work like CS - we want it to work more like MSOffice.
Well you certainly screwed the pooch on that one!

Apparently it's due to the timing of updates between Acrobat and Enfocus

Apparently it's due to the timing of updates between Acrobat and Enfocus

Hi,
I just received this response from Enfocus. Not much I can do apparently.

"Hello,

Acrobat 10.1.3 introduced a change that caused problems with PitStop Pro 10, update 3. These problems were reported to us at the end of April. We fixed these problems as soon as possible in our next release, being PitStop Pro 11 which was released at the beginning of May.

I would advise you to either downgrade to a version of Acrobat 10 before 10.1.3 or to purchase PitStop Pro 11.

Kind regards,"

Upgrade. What can I say. Things change, old things sometimes do not work with new things. We change our code daily in the Sassy Cloudy world at PressWise.

Sounds like you work for (or have) Adobe or Enfocus. LOL Exactly the same thing Adobe say's every 18 months. Believe me if an computer engineer wants to maintain legacy (and I'm only talking a version or two) they very easily can. But then again there just isn't enough money in that now is there? Seriously, I know and love the newest versions of (almost) everything but now-a-days the bean counters are looking for every reason not to upgrade until it's almost impossible and than some. The catch twenty two is a lot of companies are out sourcing or using freelancer's. Now what ever the freelancer has I suppose you better have it as well. I especially loved it when they are getting out of a "graphics school" and you know they use the latest and greatest (cheaper educational version-isn't marketing great). Trying to explain to them that we try not to support a brand new version of any application for 6 month's (yes we have to test compatibility) is like trying to talk to a quality rep from Quark. Ouch.

@ CruzinCooler ( if that is your REAL name )...

Michael Jahn | LinkedIn

So, yes, I work for software developers. You sound like your frame of reference is to save money and avoid upgrading if you can, nothing wrong with that. This thread was about "hey, I am crashing, anyone know why ?" - the question was answered with, yes, we confirmed the issue, either downgrade Acrobat or upgrade PitStop. Not sure what else to say.

"The catch twenty two is a lot of companies are out sourcing or using freelancer's."

What does that have to do with this ? You either need a new functionality and invest, or you don't.

Actually I would love to spend money from the company I work for but they always complain about upgrades, again non-printing people making software decisions. And I agree with "You either need a new functionality and invest, or you don't". Now if I could get the owners to read this...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back