Job Pricing help...

xcelprint

Would anyone be willing to help an old offset guy as he learns about digital pricing?

I am doing ok with the simpler jobs but books like the following are more difficult.

8.5x11
saddlestitched
375 quantity
68 pages + cover
80# Gloss text
80# Gloss cover
4/4 no bleeds

we are running on Versant 80 uncollated because we have a standard horizon bookletmaker that is faster than the versant

what price do you get for the job?

I would like to compare what I get in my excel spreadsheet pricing system.

Thanks,
Neal

About $6.85/book. Now that will start a crap storm of everyone complaining about pricing. This is my market, no discounts, just to give you a rough idea.

I think these pricing exercises are nice. I'm running a Versant 180P and stitching the books offline as well, my price is around $6.05. Just like Craig said, that's in my market, no discounts, assuming press-ready file.

Thanks guys... certainly the markets are different as well as other production variables but it really helps seeing how numbers compare.

My numbers... (from my spreadsheet estimator)
I get a production cost of 5.49/book.
Markup to price of 8.23/book.

I notice online pricing of 3 sources...
a. 10.40 ea
b. 11.56 ea
c. 10.77 ea

We would be in the $4.25 range for the booklets. We would also squarefold them and run them inline on our Versant 3100.

I too also like these pricing threads. I had a job not too long ago I had no clue how to price. So I threw a number out to the customer and then sent a PO right back. I wonder how much I left on the table...

On the other side of the pond here in Ireland but on Versant 80 with offline finishing I'd be in at around €4.50+vat per book.

My numbers... (from my spreadsheet estimator)
I get a production cost of 5.49/book.
Markup to price of 8.23/book.

I notice online pricing of 3 sources...
a. 10.40 ea
b. 11.56 ea
c. 10.77 ea

what sites are you using, love to see the spreadsheet you use...
if you want to share.

It’s a pretty simple spreadsheet I put together that simply calculates the press sheets, clicks, etc so I don’t make a costly mistake. We are a pretty basic shop as far as bindery services go. I have not found an estimating software that I think suits our shop. Most seem to be geared for larger production environments.

My process usually consists of just
1. Figuring the price on my spreadsheet.
2. Adjusting for misc issues.
3. Comparing to online estimates to see if I am in the ballpark.

I truly think this is the most critical part of running a small shop.

...I have not found an estimating software that I think suits our shop. Most seem to be geared for larger production environments...

If I may recommend one of these? I've been using Morning Flight since 2008 during beta testing. Recently, it got a huge update to it's digital pricing and received wide format estimating. I think it's meant for a shop with less than 5 employees and it won't break the bank. It's easy to use and fast. There is even an exporting tool to get your invoices into Quickbooks. The developer owned a print shop for 30 years and was developing estimating software for nearly as long.

I receive no compensation from jim. Just a really happy customer that wants to help a fellow printer. PM me if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help.

Thanks Keith. I have looked at Morning Flight and have been generally impressed. I probably should give it another look.

Running on a Indigo 7600 here in Ireland I would be approx €4.22 per unit.
Try printlogic.ie for a web based MIS with in built estimating. Low monthly cost and very easy to use.

If I may recommend one of these? I've been using Morning Flight since 2008 during beta testing. Recently, it got a huge update to it's digital pricing and received wide format estimating. I think it's meant for a shop with less than 5 employees and it won't break the bank. It's easy to use and fast. There is even an exporting tool to get your invoices into Quickbooks. The developer owned a print shop for 30 years and was developing estimating software for nearly as long.

I receive no compensation from jim. Just a really happy customer that wants to help a fellow printer. PM me if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help.

I would use morning flight if they would offer it for Mac OS. The only windows computer we have here is our RIP, which makes it hard to have Morning Flight on. I understand its low cost and no frills, and I liked it when I downloaded it, but I want to be able to use it at my iMac on my desk and not have to buy another computer to use it.

Parallels. I used to be on Mac but got tired of it and went back to Windows. When I was on Mac, I was using Parallels to run Morning Flight. Worked seamlessly.

Trade shop here. We'd come in about $8.75 and have them ready in 2-3 days.

Our pricing is a bit higher than a lot of you: we almost always run oversize and make final trims.

If a broker asked what they price could sell it for, I'd shoot from the hip and say about $11.50-$12.00.

We would charge 6.94 per book and would run it on our Versant 2100.

Or I could charge 4.25.

Let me explain. In our estimating program we charge more for booklets with more than 4 signatures, not because it necessarily costs us more, but because the market will generally bear it. So the 4.25 is what we would charge if we treat it as a normal job, but if we use the setting for large booklet pricing we would charge the 6.94.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back