KM C6501-duplexing

lexcreate

I was wondering if there is any way the operator can adjust the duplexing on the KM? When I duplex business cards, the crop marks do not line up properly. I double checked my work and they are imposed properly. Does a technician need to come in and make adjustments in order to perfect it? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

adjust it in- Finishing - Image position. On the Creo rip, not sure on Firey.

On our Fiery Command Station it's: Finishing>Image Shift. The nature of the machine gives a +/- of approximately 1mm variance through a print run assuming that we don't have to reload paper (in the bypass tray especially) or other alterations to the paper feed.

Given that all papers will duplex a little differently, the machine has alignment features built into the tray settings. I keep a basic two sided target for lettersize and tabloid extra stored in the RIP/Controller and call it up when necessary, make the tray alignments, and pull my job from the controller, RIP'edd once, as opposed to image shift.

My tech(s) occasionally change the look or features but from the touch screen but hitting Both Sides brings up the change screen for paper alignment. (Elswise try Paper Setting > Change > Both Sides Adjust)

About maynardsayswhat's method of using Image Shift - other people in this office use it. I don't like it in that:
1) The next job will not be aligned; by setting the alignment via the paper tray settings, you've basically set it for the day, week, etc. (Not so true if you change stocks)
2) Setting image shift in the front end saves that in the file: ie print the job next month and it is retaining that image shift (and your probably not thinking about it).
3) Setting image shift in the front end has the operator walking back and forth to the machine, holding up to the light, walking back to the front end, calling up the print sceen, alter the shift a bit, repeat three or four times, accept that it's "close enough".

Once you get accustomed to setting the tray alignment, earn bonus points for storing that stock in the RIP, ie "100# Gloss Cover" via Register; it will hold the alignment changes and can be called up from the front end or the controller (via Recall).

At the machine control panel (not the RIP) there is a button that reads "Both Sides". Have your tech show you how to do a proper tray alignment for a specific stock. Then make minor adjustments in the RIP if need be. If you do not properly do a Both Sides adjustment, you will chase the side 2 image around all day using the Image Shift in the RIP because the variance is coming from the tray not the engine. If your tech is not aware of the settings, email me and I'll try to walk you through it.

PDan is correct, learning tray alignments is a much better method, but sadly only applicable to thinner stocks. 14pt C1S (for example) has to be work & turn/tumble, at least on the machine I'm working on now (c6500). Image shift does feel like a "duct tape" approach sometimes, but can fix minor variances.

The standard paper trays should indeed be aligned for all of the reasons he notes though, so learn how!

PDan is correct, learning tray alignments is a much better method, but sadly only applicable to thinner stocks. 14pt C1S (for example) has to be work & turn/tumble, at least on the machine I'm working on now (c6500).

It is still important to adjust side 1, even on heavy stocks so that skew/image distortion is corrected. If you do that, you can usually hit the second side pretty well on most jobs.

I love the image shift option... paper size will never be the same from batch to batch... never. How hard is it click 4-5 times to adjust front/back position, hit print, check your work and bam! your done.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back