Kodak struggles

J

From: Eastman Kodak misses in Q2 -- surprised? - BloggingStocks

"When it comes to business models that should scare an investor away, you can put Kodak at the top of the list."

Has Kodak passed its prime? Is it just chasing a digital press consumables lifeline to support its 1950s film paradigm? Is the company doomed to fading away (no pun intended).

regards J

Personally, I think Kodak has some real challenges in this new digital world. Film was their cash-cow and it's going away.... if not gone in most segments. Now stack on top of that an economy that is causing customers not to make large capital purchases and you have a bad situation all the way around.

Like many large (and small) companies these days, they will need to change their business model to survive. But for Kodak, where do they go from here? Film is dead and everything else is a "me-too" solution in our industry and in others.... not saying that Kodak does not have good solutions that compete well in many segments, but it's a way more crowed field and they don't have the commanding lead they did in film. Nothing they have that I know of is any replacement for the money generator of film and processing chemicals - that will be hard to replace.

I'm glad I'm not the CEO of Kodak... that would be a tough job.

Last edited:
Ohhhh... the same way, wearing the same old boots as AGFA just went... (no AGFA camera films in wide variety, no more own equipment produced, just plates, plates, plates and chem)

Last edited:
Struggling in current Economic Climate

Struggling in current Economic Climate

What company isn't challenged in today's economic climate? On B2B side, we're gaining market share and announced some innovative and breakthrough technology and continue to be the best partner to help customers grow their business. On the B2C side, again in a flat personal printer market we're gaining market share (double-digit) growth while Big Ink (you know who they are) struggles. We complain about $4/gal of gasoline. Look at what Big Ink is charging for consumer ink cartridges:
Unbeatable Value

We complain about $4/gal of gasoline. Look at what Big Ink is charging for consumer ink cartridges:Unbeatable Value

At least we know that we're buying a gallon for that $4. Ink cartridges for desktop printers do not state how many fluid ounces they contain, which makes that part of comparison shopping impossible.

Also, you claim saving some 50% in ink costs, however according to Popular Photography's tests you do so by comparing "apples to oranges"
Here's the reference to test results they've done, with quotes from the article: http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Accessories/All-in-One-Printer-Shootout

"According to Executive Technology Editor Michael J. McNamara, the Kodak EasyShare 5300 All-In-One printer ($199, street) turned out only 165 borderless color photos from an $18 package of paper and ink that is billed as producing 180 photos. "That's about 11.5 cents per print," said McNamara. "But more importantly, the quality of the prints was so low in color saturation that they could be deemed no better than 'draft' quality by professional or lab-print standards." To get what photo enthusiasts would judge "lab-quality" prints, says McNamara, requires more expensive Kodak paper, which boosts the cost to more than 35 cents each." "If you use the more expensive 4-star Premium Photo Quality paper (9-mil thickness) the number of prints from a full color cartridge drops to 80, and the price per print climbs to 37-cents per print. That's more in line with the 4x6-inch prints from the other units tested, and certainly nowhere near the 50% savings claimed by Kodak." "Overall, the 5300 came in at the bottom of the four in terms of image quality for both 3 star prints and scans. And while Kodak can actually claim dramatic saving in ink costs over the competition -- it does so by comparing apples and oranges -- or more accurately, draft quality prints to "lab quality" prints from other manufacturers."

best regards, J

Kodak Plates Still Bad

Kodak Plates Still Bad

Still having problems with the new T-Series Plates, The Kodak reps first visit 4 months ago was full of lies and misconception.

They uped the intensity of the laser, and said my Imagesetter's laser lense was dirty, then blamed it on the chemicals and other probkems.
Kodak said their was no change in the weight or thickness of the plate.

I started keeping track of the different aluminum alloy numbers on the back, and weighing the plates on a Digital Mail Scale, I had six different styles in the last four months.
Kodak's T-Series are coming CHINA.

A kodak Sales knew I was keeping track and stole my notes from my Prepress department
when I was away.

The Company is shit, but they have managed to pay off the Administrators of my company to keep using their product.

I don't understand why Kodak did not come out and say they fucked up, instead of causing people so much trouble and production time.

Little Rock, AR
p.s. I'm sure the next reply will be a Kodak rep trying their spin control.

Nothing but love for Kodak in my world. No issues with plates, produce about 2500 a month for everything from a 20" label press to 40" Carton Press and 38" Webs, using Kodak Platinum. Use Kodak Prinergy to run the whole operation, Kodak Magnus Platesetters, even a Thermoflex. Make about 1100 Imposed proofs on their Kodak Inkjet Matchprint system. We run a Digimaster and Nexpress. The Kodak 4/c Prosper is a real game changer in the printing world, seen it up close. Kodak is always available, here and responsive everything a company wants from a primary supplier. I believe you, but it just seem out of character to the Kodak I deal with daily.

True they are facing challenges, but what business isn't right now?

Kodak Plates

Kodak Plates

jetzerm

Thanks for the reply, I know it seems harsh,
I believe much of it is going on at The Distributer Level, our local Kodak Sales-people are slimey, they constantly make under-the-table deals with the companies in our area.

I worked on the same Trendsetter and Plate-Processor for Six Years without any problems, Kodak comes in changes everything, and blames it on the equipment, and me.

It nice to know other people are not having problems.

I resigned my position after 15 years in Prepress and will leave the industry for good.

Thanks
Lee

All right I'll chime in
I have been a Kodak fan since way back......
They should weather the storm financial
We have been using the Kodak Thermal Direct Process Plates with great success.
In fact Fuji has been in to our shop about 15 times to get Fuji plates running with no success at all.

jetzerm

Thanks for the reply, I know it seems harsh,
I believe much of it is going on at The Distributer Level, our local Kodak Sales-people are slimey, they constantly make under-the-table deals with the companies in our area.

I worked on the same Trendsetter and Plate-Processor for Six Years without any problems, Kodak comes in changes everything, and blames it on the equipment, and me.

It nice to know other people are not having problems.

I resigned my position after 15 years in Prepress and will leave the industry for good.

Thanks
Lee

It's unfortunate you had such a bad experience. Fortunately, we haven't really had problems with Kodak plates but with their support for (Creo) equipment - like a lot of other printers.

Recurring problems seem to make for very angry Kodak customers.....it's never enough to say please fix.......:mad:

B4Print.com - Index
Look under Kodak systems:
Upfront sucks
kodak support ..... are you kidding me?

Printplanet
Unresolved problems become a 'feature request'
http://printplanet.com/forums/kodak-systems/21634-prinergy-opi-sucks

Kodak sent invoice for looking up parts
http://printplanet.com/forums/kodak-systems/21493-good-reason-call-kodak-bunch-criminals

Prinergy dumped due to poor support, printer fires manager that bought prinergy
http://printplanet.com/forums/kodak-systems/21078-prinergy-did-you-over-buy-under-buy

Presses left down
http://printplanet.com/forums/computer-plate/20449-ctp-problem-no-one-world-can-fix-any-takers/2

Kodak forums:
Kodak response center fails to solve problem or even acknowledge problem for over 6 months
I hate kodak - GUA Forums

Preps 6.0 not user friendly
Preps 6.0 = A HOLE IN THE WATER!!!!!! - GUA Forums

Recurring problems with ecentral
ecentral in your greatness!!!!!!! - GUA Forums

Kodak response center claims they are not responsible for solving problems with kodak equipment
GUA Forums - Powered by vBulletin
GUA Bomb - must log in to kodak ecentral to view

Best of luck in the future.

How does this kind of support demonstrate kodaks committment to customers?

Maybe someday improving support will actually matter to Kodak. Doesn't look like its going to be happening anytime soon........

Last edited:
hi,

I WANT TO USE CHINESE CtP THERMAL PLATES ON SCREEN MACHINE, CAN ANYBODY SHARE WITH ME THEIR EXPERIENCE ABOUT CHINESE CTP THERMAL PLATES.
I HAVE SCREEN AND KODAK TRENDSETTER

kodak

kodak

in today's time all plate companies have products that perform. The prices are all within the same range per square foot. The biggest difference is service. Service is the only action that sets one company apart from the rest. The better the customer service...the more business will be drawn to you by word of mouth. Having said that.. a company must have good QC to ensure good product also. Sadly customer service seems to be to heavy on the bottom line. Kodak is caught up in the bottom line as it should be, but the customer service angle will bring the bottom line up.

Sorry, but it's that simple.

I would never bash Kodak....but I see and hear things that I think is bad policy, I can't imagine would be good for Kodak in the long run.....All their CTPs that have come out the last few years are locked out. Only a Kodak technician with a special dongle can make any changes to a Trendsetter or Magnus...if you want to change to a different brand of plate you can't unless it is a drop in with same drum speed, focus and laser exposure settings or pay Kodak LOTS of money......I think they learned these policies from Scitex when they inherited them from CREO.....if I was a printer and purchased a Kodak system I wouldn't like that. I assume Kodak Sales tells the potential client about that, I hope..... from Kodak's point of view they see that it gives them a predictable revenue stream, but I know it pisses off some clients...

Don't get me wrong, Kodak makes good stuff, Trendsetters and Prinergy are solid but I just like flexibility, I like open platforms, I don't like monopolies. If you want to go with Kodak be prepared to stick with Kodak like super-glue....If Kodak offers to give you a free upgrade to your CTP...think about that for a minute and ask about their service because you will be using them in the future.

I remember years ago at a trade show, I was looking for one of my old friends on the Scitex booth that had gotten a job with Scitex as an engineer...I'll never forget the response, a very arrogant tone from a salesman..."we don't let engineers on the booth during a show"...well I thought... if it wasn't for engineers buddy, you wouldn't have a job!!!

Last edited:
Which one?

Which one?

hi,

I WANT TO USE CHINESE CtP THERMAL PLATES ON SCREEN MACHINE, CAN ANYBODY SHARE WITH ME THEIR EXPERIENCE ABOUT CHINESE CTP THERMAL PLATES.
I HAVE SCREEN AND KODAK TRENDSETTER

Which Chinese Plate and where are you located?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back