Komori ink fountains

canadian printer

We have a new 40in 10/c lithrone perfector. The cleaning of the ink fountains seems to be a huge task.I am use to the Heidi ink fountain liners ,,,just pull the ink and toss the foils. Not having the ink liners really takes a great deal of more time plus you can't wash the ink ball roller up during the washup. I understand why Komori does it this way for the ink keys and such but it does take a great deal of time to wash up plus you have to grease the fountain when your done. Any one else have any thoughts on this or feels the same way. I miss the foils and I fear in time the roller will score? Thanks..........

Your lucky thats the only gripe you have about your Komori. Try running a new LS that ghost and sensitizes plates after oscillating them, and back tracks ink onto the meetering roller. And has been through 5 different ink and chemistries to try and solve all of this mystery.

So far impressed

So far impressed

Your lucky thats the only gripe you have about your Komori. Try running a new LS that ghost and sensitizes plates after oscillating them, and back tracks ink onto the meetering roller. And has been through 5 different ink and chemistries to try and solve all of this mystery.

Thanks for the feed back. So far I'm very impressed with the new BIG girl. It will be a huge learning curve and with any new press a fair amount of hair loss will happen. I fully expect once we figure out the the quirks with the press we should be flying. The training we are getting has been excellent and they keep it pretty simple for us to avoid the deer in the headlights look! Slow and steady will win the race. One thing I have noticed is she will have to have a very adhered to maint schedule to maintain the big girl.

That's funny I don't have any of these problems with my Komori, what are YOU doing wrong. Since all press manufacturers have oscillating ink forms then everyone must be having plate sensitivity problems, if this is truly the case, which I believe it is not. As far as back tracking to the meterer, Is this a U.V. or conventional press ? It has been my experience that this only happens with U.V. I can put conventional ink in the same unit and not have any problem at all, that tells me it is an ink issue. At which point, I got on my ink manufacturer, and told him to cut back on the extender, which dramatically decreased the problem. It sounds like you have some serious ink / plate material problems.

Great point

Great point

One has to step back and not be so quick to blame the press.One thing are instructor is really trying to get across to us is to step back and make sure you are doing everything right.Pick up the manual and make sure! It will be tough to learn a new press after running Heidi's my whole life but hey I don't own the company and it's not my decision so you must adapt and learn anew again.

printers needed

printers needed

One has to step back and not be so quick to blame the press.One thing are instructor is really trying to get across to us is to step back and make sure you are doing everything right.Pick up the manual and make sure! It will be tough to learn a new press after running Heidi's my whole life but hey I don't own the company and it's not my decision so you must adapt and learn anew again.
Canadian Printer, Very well put, some people forget that Komori and other press manufacturers are not printers. They rely on their customers to be the printers ,unfortunately some of the afforementioned " customers " do not fit the bill.

You might try disconnecting the gears that drive the dampening form rollers. Komori adopted this 'innovation' for a variety of reasons, but IMHO did not improve the performance of the KomoriMatic dampener at all but introduced a lot of unnecessary friction related problems. I had a customer who reported that one of their units suddenly started to print better and stop wearing the plates, turned out the pin holding the gear to the shaft had sheared. He removed the remaining pins and was much happier.

Hey I posted a thread about this some time ago, do you guys feel the cost is justified on the cleaninktray foils for Komori? We are looking in to trialing these here at our shop.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back