Kompac II dampener on Chief 17

Hello

When running dark blue or burgundy colored inks, it wants to tone. Sometimes a bit of heavy varnish added to the ink helps. Sometimes not. Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, how did to rectify it?

Thanks

What is your fountain solution ratio?
Do you use distill water or bottle water to dilute the fountain concentrate?
Have you tried to desensitize the metal rollers?

What is your fountain solution ratio?
Do you use distill water or bottle water to dilute the fountain concentrate?
Have you tried to desensitize the metal rollers?

Thanks. I'm using Anchor JRZ and alcohol substitute (3 ounces each) in bottled drinking water. It works great in my Crestline system. But as I said earlier, the dark blues and burgundy inks are a fight in the Kompac system.

Thanks
Russ

We used to run both Kompac and Crestline.

When we were having toning problem. We would increase the fountain concentrate little bit at a time until the toning goes away. We've tried to add gum to the ink. I guess heavy varnish will do the same. It gives more body to the ink.

Too cold or too hot environment will effect the fountain solution also.

What type of plates are you running? Metal plate will be more forgiving. If you run laser plate, I'd check of use clean the plate with toner cleaners before inking up.

Good luck!

We used to run both Kompac and Crestline.

When we were having toning problem. We would increase the fountain concentrate little bit at a time until the toning goes away. We've tried to add gum to the ink. I guess heavy varnish will do the same. It gives more body to the ink.

Too cold or too hot environment will effect the fountain solution also.

What type of plates are you running? Metal plate will be more forgiving. If you run laser plate, I'd check of use clean the plate with toner cleaners before inking up.

Good luck!

Thanks. Always metal (grained) plates.

Kompac says that alcohol is not necessary, so why use substitute? Plate dampening is determined by the squeeze from metering roller to form roller and by water form to plate pressure. A little less squeeze or a little more plate pressure might work. A one eighth inch stripe on the plate is the usual spec.

Plate dampening is not only determined by the squeeze but surface tension and viscosity also has an effect on the transfer of dampening solution to the plate.

Plate dampening is not only determined by the squeeze but surface tension and viscosity also has an effect on the transfer of dampening solution to the plate.

Thanks for the replies. Fot now, I find that adding a bit of heavy binding varnish to the ink, seems to help.

Russtopher

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back