konica c 6000 problems with 90 gsm gloss art paper

ashwini singh

Hi i am having problems running any gloss art paper below 130 gsm on my konica minolta c 6000. not even 100 gsm , the service engineer says that 130 gsm and above works. This is ridiculous as the machine states 64 gsm - 300 gsm(sales) on art paper, does anyone have any experience or input on that ?

Ashwini

yes it gets stuck .
the engineers are saying the machine is warming up and we cant use front and back in one go.
We have to manually print one side and then changes sides.
Absolutely amazed in KM's claim that they run 64 gsm - 300 gsm..

The C6000 does auto-duplex all the way up to around 80# cover weight. I don't know what "gloss art paper" is -- if it is a digital sheet, or the kind of paper that is typically used in machines of this kind. I'm certain your C6000 will happily auto-duplex all kinds of other papers at the same weight. Have you looked into alternative sheets?

90gsm gloss art is going to be tissue paper thin and very difficult to handle. Way different to an uncoated 90gsm. We've never had any luck reliably feeding less than 115gsm gloss art through our Konicas, but they will happily run 115gsm gloss all day long (c6501 / c8000). The spec sheet for the c8000 says 64gsm min, it doesn't say gloss COATED 64gsm. I'd guess coated 90gsm would be thinner than 64gsm bond and certainly way more difficult to handle (I'd be well impressed by a light production machine that could handle 90gsm gloss coated). Your pre-sales agreement is the acid test though, if you have it in writing from Konica that they support 90gsm coated then you should throw the problem back at them and tell them to get it working or wheel it out of your premises.

I doubt there's a written presale promise to support paper like lfelton described. Konica publishes a Substrate Throughput Assurance Guide that is the only writing of what papers the C6/7/8000 will reliably handle, as determined through testing. Any promise made beyond that would also have to be supported through pre-sale testing. Or ... off with the salesman's head!

sorry to say, but we never got anything below 130gsm gloss or matt paper running properly on that machine, your only hope is to make sure the paper is long grain so its not trying to wrap around the rollers. Konicas specs are probably misleading, it will feed 80gsm uncoated fine, but not coated. The 8000 does feed 100gsm gloss or matt fine, not that is any help, just some info.

90gsm gloss art is going to be tissue paper thin and very difficult to handle. Way different to an uncoated 90gsm. We've never had any luck reliably feeding less than 115gsm gloss art through our Konicas, but they will happily run 115gsm gloss all day long (c6501 / c8000). The spec sheet for the c8000 says 64gsm min, it doesn't say gloss COATED 64gsm. I'd guess coated 90gsm would be thinner than 64gsm bond and certainly way more difficult to handle (I'd be well impressed by a light production machine that could handle 90gsm gloss coated). Your pre-sales agreement is the acid test though, if you have it in writing from Konica that they support 90gsm coated then you should throw the problem back at them and tell them to get it working or wheel it out of your premises.

We regularly run jobs on 100gsm silk on our C8000 without any problems. I wouldn't consider 90gsm, even if it was available in the right grades: the stock we use as standard only goes down to 100gsm, some ranges don't go below 115gsm.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back