Konica C7090 and #10 envelopes?

wonderings

We have a new C7090 press, have had some new machine birthing pains that are getting sorted by techs as they come up. One big issue is printing #10 envelopes. They just will not feed through. They stop before they can exit tray 3. Or they rip and go through. Tech was in and in the end their solution was to open the flaps before printing. This is not a good option, takes man time and slows the whole process down. Is anyone printing #10 envelopes without opening the flap on their C7090 from Tray 3? I ran #10 envelopes all day long on my Versant 2100 with zero jams or issues.

do you have the oversize feed trays or the smaller trays? we have the large trays and they will not let you run # 10 envelopes at all so we run the #10 envelopes through the bypass tray. all other envelopes we run on our Xante

do you have the oversize feed trays or the smaller trays? we have the large trays and they will not let you run # 10 envelopes at all so we run the #10 envelopes through the bypass tray. all other envelopes we run on our Xante
No, just the high cap tray 3 which is at the bottom and the only tray that it will let you specify envelopes are loaded. You have a 7090?

What are your air settings? Speed, GSM?
Envelopes are at 80 gsm. Air settings have been tried across the board from least amount to most and every number in better. Priority options set and off and on for the side air. Do you run #10 envelopes on a 7090 without issue from Tray 3?

I ran alot (1mil+) on our C6100. On our C7100, We don't have much luck running them tray 3 so we use tray 2. Can your tech turn on tray 2 for env? We do not open the flap. Only thing I might suggest is to run the side guides very loose in hopes that it will at least pull for you. You could also set the speed to low underneath the weight setting.

EDIT: I am currently running #10 Window Env out of tray 3 on our C7100. Settings are 92-105 GSM, full speed, Flap away from me and I've got my registration loop set to +40.

Last edited:
I assume you have the envelope fuser installed when running envelopes, correct?

We regularly run #10 envelopes on our C7090 out of tray 3. In fact, we have tray 2 turned on as well (DIP Switch 71-1, set to 1) so we can load one drawer while it's running out of the other. We run them short edge first, and you need to use side-seam envelopes for best results. Make sure you open the small paper guides [3]. You should also install the side auxiliary guides [1,5] (see image below). That's all we ever do, however, the manual also suggests installing the trailing edge auxiliary guides [4,6], and change the side air opening retainer levers [2]. We never need to do those extra steps, but it might be worth trying since you're having issues.

If we get the occasional batch of envelopes that won't feed, we will rotate them 180°.

Lastly, because we have numerous finishers on our machine, we output the envelopes to the relay unit top tray. We take off the tray so they stack a bit higher. We found they are prone to getting jammed inside the SD-513 booklet maker if we have them exit all the way to the final finisher.

Interesting note about the side-seam envelopes...once we switched to them, an account called and asked that we always use those envelopes for their future orders. They were using them in a inserter/sealing machine and found the side seam ran much better for them as well.

1671218475448.png

depending on what kind of flap you have, some flaps will be opened by the front separation air and will cause jam, so you have to block the holes on the flap side. you can use the konica part A4F2626001 , or just tape them.

I assume you have the envelope fuser installed when running envelopes, correct?

We regularly run #10 envelopes on our C7090 out of tray 3. In fact, we have tray 2 turned on as well (DIP Switch 71-1, set to 1) so we can load one drawer while it's running out of the other. We run them short edge first, and you need to use side-seam envelopes for best results. Make sure you open the small paper guides [3]. You should also install the side auxiliary guides [1,5] (see image below). That's all we ever do, however, the manual also suggests installing the trailing edge auxiliary guides [4,6], and change the side air opening retainer levers [2]. We never need to do those extra steps, but it might be worth trying since you're having issues.

If we get the occasional batch of envelopes that won't feed, we will rotate them 180°.

Lastly, because we have numerous finishers on our machine, we output the envelopes to the relay unit top tray. We take off the tray so they stack a bit higher. We found they are prone to getting jammed inside the SD-513 booklet maker if we have them exit all the way to the final finisher.

Interesting note about the side-seam envelopes...once we switched to them, an account called and asked that we always use those envelopes for their future orders. They were using them in a inserter/sealing machine and found the side seam ran much better for them as well.

View attachment 291707
Hey,
We got C6100,
Do you know if i set the dip-switch you wrote to set another drawer will work as well?
thank you

I’m loving my new 7090 with the envelope fuser. We are running a bunch of envelopes short and long run with no issues.

Originally, we couldn’t run any out but one do the tech found a solution.

You need to rotate the #10 envelope so the flap fold is away from you. You need to rotate the image 180 degrees in your fiery so it adjusts the print correctly.

I have the finishing set to exit out of the relay unit up top. I remove the tray and a bunch just stack there. It’s easier to grab it cause it’s close by since my machine is 17ft long.

No resolution, we are moving to printing our envelopes on a different machine. The 7090 prints well on different sized envelopes but the standard #10 envelope is a no go for us. For short runs we will open the flap and print that way. Not idea as you can only load small amounts at a time, but it does work. I truly do miss the versatility of the Versant 2100 I used to have, I would just stack 2 high cap trays with #10's and it would run flawlessly.

We had techs in to try and get this sorted, tried the tips and tricks with no consitent result.

No resolution, we are moving to printing our envelopes on a different machine. The 7090 prints well on different sized envelopes but the standard #10 envelope is a no go for us. For short runs we will open the flap and print that way. Not idea as you can only load small amounts at a time, but it does work. I truly do miss the versatility of the Versant 2100 I used to have, I would just stack 2 high cap trays with #10's and it would run flawlessly.

We had techs in to try and get this sorted, tried the tips and tricks with no consitent result.
That's strange. Sorry to hear that. We just printed several cases of #10 window and regular last week on our C7090 without any issues. What is happening when you print them? Jamming before-engine, in-engine, or post-engine? Are you using the side-seam envelopes I suggested? You're using tray 3 of the vacuum deck, correct? Lastly, are you doing this with the envelope fuser, or trying without it? (And yes, you can run them without it, you just have to lie about the size of the media and turn off double feed detect)

That's strange. Sorry to hear that. We just printed several cases of #10 window and regular last week on our C7090 without any issues. What is happening when you print them? Jamming before-engine, in-engine, or post-engine? Are you using the side-seam envelopes I suggested? You're using tray 3 of the vacuum deck, correct? Lastly, are you doing this with the envelope fuser, or trying without it? (And yes, you can run them without it, you just have to lie about the size of the media and turn off double feed detect)
We don't have the envelope fuser, the price for that is a bit crazy in my opinion, especially remembering the days before when fusers were user replaceable by simply pulling on a handle! The issue comes from the feeding so not sure the fuser would really make a difference. The air in tray 3 is part the flap a bit, or enough to jam before it can even get out. We have taped off the air vents as well a techs suggestion and it helped... but only a little and not something that would make this thing simple and easy to to run without issue.

We did not have to lie about the paper size in order to run #10's, I simply added it with the exact size of 4.125" x 9.5"

We don't have the envelope fuser, the price for that is a bit crazy in my opinion, especially remembering the days before when fusers were user replaceable by simply pulling on a handle! The issue comes from the feeding so not sure the fuser would really make a difference. The air in tray 3 is part the flap a bit, or enough to jam before it can even get out. We have taped off the air vents as well a techs suggestion and it helped... but only a little and not something that would make this thing simple and easy to to run without issue.

We did not have to lie about the paper size in order to run #10's, I simply added it with the exact size of 4.125" x 9.5"
Ah, that explains it! Yes, it is ridiculously pricey, but definitely worth it for how many envelopes we run. Perhaps the lying on the size is only something we've had to do for our KM 6136's when we used to run envelopes without the fuser kit. We have the envelope fuser for the C7090, so we haven't had to trick it. Have you made sure to turn off double feed detection? That is definitely a requirement, otherwise it always thinks two sheets are coming in. You could also try flipping the envelopes 180 degrees.

Ah, that explains it! Yes, it is ridiculously pricey, but definitely worth it for how many envelopes we run. Perhaps the lying on the size is only something we've had to do for our KM 6136's when we used to run envelopes without the fuser kit. We have the envelope fuser for the C7090, so we haven't had to trick it. Have you made sure to turn off double feed detection? That is definitely a requirement, otherwise it always thinks two sheets are coming in. You could also try flipping the envelopes 180 degrees.
I think we have tried everything possible, even had one of their people come in who runs #10's on their 7090 and tried all her tricks with no consistent luck. I was spoiled with my old Xerox Versant, things were easy, fast and no need for special fusers.

I think we have tried everything possible, even had one of their people come in who runs #10's on their 7090 and tried all her tricks with no consistent luck. I was spoiled with my old Xerox Versant, things were easy, fast and no need for special fusers.
I printed many envelopes with an issue without the fuser but with the fuser I’ve ran 20k+. Envelopes with an issue. Maybe talk to diff techs or I can help if you need any.

My tech setup an envelope option in my catalog which would findable the double feed detection. Or else nothing will run though. Make sure your flap is away from you and facing down.

No special fuser? And you didn’t crease the fuser and get lines when you printed saturation prints?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back