Kraft-Heinz Trials Paper Ketchup Bottle

prwhite

Administrator
Staff member
Responding to packaging waste as an “industry-wide challenge that we must all do our part to address,” Kraft Heinz CEO, Miguel Patricio, is working with UK innovator Pulpex, and planning to trial a paper-based, recyclable tomato ketchup bottle as part of an array of initiatives to reduce their environmental footprint. Around 650m bottles of Heinz Tomato Ketchup are sold every year.

The paper-based bottle is made from sustainably sourced wood pulp with a small 100% recyclable plastic cap. The two firms are working on a prototype to see how the bottle will perform during processes such as filling, in-transit and with consumers. Based on current data, Pulpex believes the carbon footprint of Pulpex bottles is "materially less than glass & plastic on a bottle-by-bottle basis". Used bottles are also expected to be widely recyclable in paper waste streams. Source: Printweek.

Responding to packaging waste as an “industry-wide challenge that we must all do our part to address,” Kraft Heinz CEO, Miguel Patricio, is working with UK innovator Pulpex, and planning to trial a paper-based, recyclable tomato ketchup bottle as part of an array of initiatives to reduce their environmental footprint. Around 650m bottles of Heinz Tomato Ketchup are sold every year.

The paper-based bottle is made from sustainably sourced wood pulp with a small 100% recyclable plastic cap. The two firms are working on a prototype to see how the bottle will perform during processes such as filling, in-transit and with consumers. Based on current data, Pulpex believes the carbon footprint of Pulpex bottles is "materially less than glass & plastic on a bottle-by-bottle basis". Used bottles are also expected to be widely recyclable in paper waste streams. Source: Printweek.
My understanding is that most containers with food items on them are not recyclable. Am I wrong? Pizza boxes aren't recyclable once they have grease stains on them. I don't know how they'd educate people to tell them that these bottles are recyclable.

Most of the recyclable "chain" is a complete myth and/or marketing gimmick.

If a plastic bottle can be replaced with a paper container, to me that's a win. Even if it's not recyclable, at least the paper has the potential to break down in a reasonable amount of time. Hopefully projects like this gain acceptance. I remember the biodegradable Sun Chips bags were shelved because the feedback from consumers was they were "too noisy".

My understanding is that most containers with food items on them are not recyclable. Am I wrong? Pizza boxes aren't recyclable once they have grease stains on them. I don't know how they'd educate people to tell them that these bottles are recyclable.

Most of the recyclable "chain" is a complete myth and/or marketing gimmick.
Agree. Companies not only in packaging industries yet in others also play with the game "social-responsibility" to attract attention and as a marketing strategy, for example, shipping companies and forwarders invest in the transparency of carbon-footprint during transport. Regardless of whether the innovation they do actually contributes to the environment-protection, truly it is a good marketing gimmick.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back